What's the advantage of fins like these:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's unclear how you would do a helicopter turn without back finning on one side.
A helicopter turn is a turn without moving forward, right? I'll verify it next time I'm in the pool. I definitely use both feet to turn, but I'm not sure if I'm spinning in place.

A helicopter turn is a turn without moving forward, right? I'll verify it next time I'm in the pool.
You should be able to rotate around your torso if done correctly... One foot doing a frog kick, the other doing a back kick -- but not with Force Fins :)

Good enough for Navy Seals - good enough for me.

For me they are great boat fins. Boat has very limited storage room and I put together a little anchor retrieval dive package. Force fins (bought at a garage sale) basic wing and a little AL30. Takes as little storage space as possible in the boat.

They were also great pool fins before I started learning better fin techniques.

I have them. I have big feet. Standard fins in large foot sizes are enormous. Force fins are small. The big disadvantage is there is a learning curve to using them.

I am an underwater photographer. The fins offer great control and good power. I can back fin just fine. The smaller size makes kicking coral less of a problem in tight quarters.

Getting on a boat, I can just loop them over my hands and climb aboard. There is no need to hand them off.

Ok. I took my Force Fins to the pool last night. It took about 30 seconds to figure out how to back kick. I was able to go the length of the pool without any problem. It's not fast, but that may be because I just started with it. It will certainly work for backing off a photo subject.

Helicopter turns are easy. I did them at and facing the wall, so I know I'm not moving forward.

I can't do a standard frog kick effectively. However, I can do a modified version where you bring the tops of your feet together to the extent possible.

But I'm not sure it's needed all that often. The flutter kick sends water much more backwards than a conventional fin. That's why it's effective despite the small surface area. I've done timed swims versus the Go Sports and they are virtually identical. I've also done blind swims mixing the fins and get the same result (a small deviation to the left) regardless of which fin is on which foot.

IMO, the people that have tried these fins and heavily dislike them are those that are unwilling to adjust their technique. I suspect the same thing would happen if divers started with these fins and then tried a conventional fin. Given the relative prices, I doubt that happens very often.

They aren't suited for technical divers who need the pinpoint precision of a stiff, short blade fin, but then neither are fins like the Go Sports or Mares Avanti Pros.

What you do get with these fins is comfort and convenience. And the dolphin kick is amazing if you have the room to maneuver.

I understood that pointing toes is not as important...
Do they work without pointing your toes?

I have a situation where my nephew has a prosthetic swim leg.... no ankle or knee.
I was thinking maybe could be adapted for him....

I’d love to get a pair as I like to move as efficiently as possible in the direction I’m looking in. Have been watching out for a pair but no luck so far. The idea that so called tec divers only use jet fins is a load of codswallop.

Back
Top Bottom