What's the advantage of fins like these:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understood that pointing toes is not as important...
Do they work without pointing your toes?

I have a situation where my nephew has a prosthetic swim leg.... no ankle or knee.
I was thinking maybe could be adapted for him....

@Manatee Diver is our resident one-legged cave diver. He lost one leg below the knee, but he could probably provide some insight.

Often available on ebay. I got a really nice pair of Pro's for $35.
What a bargain, I’ll watch out there.

I have owned two sets of Force Fins. They are absolutely horrible for anything other than going forward using a flutter kick. I am an UW photographer (well, I try). I must be able to back up, move up, down, left or right, roll or helicopter turn or lock myself in position using my fins by feathering them in the surge and WITHOUT EVER USING my hands and arms. None of that is possible with Force Fins. Well, reversing is possible to a degree but a proper frog kick which uses the bottom of the fin, how you going to do that with a fin that will fold around your toes? If it is I would like to see the video showing it. N

For frog, they are not powerful. For flutter they are a delight. For reverse they work in the direction of the fin's bend if you face them out, but it takes a while to learn. Helicopter is easy. I've switched to Force Fin Hockeys for more frog and reverse power, but used pros for around 30 dives in NorCal surge with frog as my primary kick and no hand use.

On the frog kick, most descriptions of reverse kick emphasize use of the fin edge and the higher speed that you push it through the water on the power vs recover stroke. When pushed sideways, the ForceFin Pro's outside tail folds down and gets broader to the direction you are thrusting it, thus making a larger edge to push with. This can be used in the forward direction as well. In my experience.

The advantage of spending more money for an inferior product so you can be the only goon on the block that owns a pair.

It would be neat if Bob make a big heavy tech style frog kicking jet-knockoff out of that tough urethane material in America. Might buy even if overpriced.

It would be neat if Bob make a big heavy tech style frog kicking jet-knockoff out of that tough urethane material in America. Might buy even if overpriced.

I could go for a pair, take the foot pocket of the SP Go Sport and graft it to the blade of the Jet Fin and then make it in crystal translucent urethane and Made in America. I am good for a pair. I want crystal blue or smoke black. And put FF on the foot pocket with a Lightening Bolt through the letters. I am more into lightweight and neutral buoyancy than heavy. I might have to sell a kidney or at least some blood for a few years to pay for them, but, yeah, double dog dare!

James

You might give the Hockey a try. They are rather stiff in both directions, of the recent high rebound material, and straight wide bladed. The Excellerating are more designed for that, but I've only got the Hockey (and Pro) not the Excellerating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom