What's the benefit of a Solo cert card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This makes me wonder just what I'd be likely to gain in terms of recognition from various dive operators were I to actually get a Solo diving cert card?
In terms of your description of your experience to date, it appears you would gain very little. If you are currently able to dive solo as you wish, and are not encountering obstacles from the dive operations YOU routinely use, there would appear to be no perceptible benefit, in terms of recognition.

When traveling, the pony bottle is the rub. I wear mine at home and have solo dived for over 50 years now. I don't travel with it though.

Just yesterday I asked about the PADI self reliant diver card and was told by an instructor friend that he'd have no trouble signing m,e off on it given my thousands of solo dives. I think I'll get it just to have it. It may help, it may not. We'll see. I'd probably prefer a true solo diver card from a different agency, but most of ours here are PADI.

Hey drbill,

I found an SDI dive shop on Catalina Island. Here is the URL from SDI for the LA area SDI shops that teach their solo course:

https://www.tdisdi.com/userportal/?type=2&flex=search_sdi#

What size pony do you use? I throw my pony in my checked baggage. Valve off the tank--No problems. I have small ponies that don't weigh much.

markm

Interesting... that's "my" shop but I wasn't aware they offered SDI courses. Thanks.

I use a 19 cu ft pony although I'd consider a smaller one for travel. Do you have the pony VIP'ed when you arrive?

Interesting... that's "my" shop but I wasn't aware they offered SDI courses. Thanks.

I use a 19 cu ft pony although I'd consider a smaller one for travel. Do you have the pony VIP'ed when you arrive?

Hello drbill,

Sorry that I am responding late.

No, I make sure my bottle is VIP'ed before I travel. Foreign dive shops have accepted my Dolphin Scuba of Sacramento VIP sticker everywhere I have gone. No questions asked.

I am thinking about getting a SOLO cert from the Catalina dive shop. I would like to go to a warm water site. I don't want to wait until July for Catalina water to warm up.

I may have to man-up and dive the cold water.

markm

I took a 13cf to Bonaire and had no problem getting it filled. I just ordered a Faber 27 cf LP. Only 14" long and less than 12 pounds. It will go with me as well as the 13 on any future trips. My valve and 1st stage for the pony are combined into a single very small unit (H2Odesy - $73 at Goodrum International). I also got the fill adapters so I can have it filled at a station or fill it from a HP or 3000psi tank myself thus bypassing the need for a vis & hydro though I keep them up anyway - comon sense.

I dive solo every dive even the ones with buddies!
The card just lets me dive legally at the local quarry.
What other benefit probably none but as others have mentioned dive ops are backed into a legal corner and soon you will have to display a card.
It really has become a sad state of affairs but can you blame dive ops for requiring it?
Liability will be the undoing of us all!

CamG

I dive solo every dive even the ones with buddies!
The card just lets me dive legally at the local quarry.
What other benefit probably none but as others have mentioned dive ops are backed into a legal corner and soon you will have to display a card.
It really has become a sad state of affairs but can you blame dive ops for requiring it?
Liability will be the undoing of us all! CamG

I wonder when the EPA is going to outlaw pee valves?? Oops, didn't mean to hijack. Your right, Cam; divers need a "George Costanza" wallet anymore for cert. cards just to do common sense diving. But, alas, you do what you have to do.

CamG,

You wrote: "I dive solo every dive even the ones with buddies!"

So do I!

I am sorry for being redundant and climbing aboard my soap-box again, but my mariner training and decades of maritime experience have taught me to "take care of number 1." Furthermore, I always have some survival tools to successfully use contingency plans. Oceans can be a dangerous place.

Most buddies I dive with don't have a healthy respect of the ocean, IMHO. Good divers, no healthy dose of fear!

markm

I have been diving solo for years and always check ahead on trips to verify that the operator allows solo diving without another card and I never have a problem finding a cordial dive operator to accomodate my needs. If they don't allow solo then they don't get my business period.

I have been diving solo for years and always check ahead on trips to verify that the operator allows solo diving without another card and I never have a problem finding a cordial dive operator to accomodate my needs. If they don't allow solo then they don't get my business period.

Hello Allistoy,

Do dive operators take into account your instructor certification status when deciding whether-or-not to allow you to solo dive off their boat?

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom