What's the craziest thing you ever found?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a two window dive mask with no diver attached!

The instructor had dropped my dive buddy’s mask after I handed it to him in the recovery of unconscious diver drill. We said we couldn’t believe he dropped it. He said,”…well let’s go and look for it. Does it have one or two windows?” And we said if you see mask directly under us with no diver attached please just grab it!

Blackie Collins dive knife. Diving Ship Rock, Catalina Island, California. Only found it because I was grabbing a lure, hooked to a lure that was snagged on the handle (that looked like a shell). Three for 1!
Handle and sheath completely encrusted. Soaked the knife in vinegar for a few days to get it open and when it popped open the blade was/is flawless!

I was snorkeling at the Twin Bridges on the Siletz River with my then girl friend when she swam under the bridge, and began hooting and pointing. I swam over to her, and she said that there was a gun below the bridge. I did a surface dive, it was about 20 feet deep, and saw the rifle, picked it up and brought it to the surface. It was almost brand new, in great shape. I theorize that someone was illegally hunting deer, picked up some unwelcome law enforcement people, drove to the bridge and threw it in.

Well, Nancy and I talked it over, and since Nancy had seen it first, it was her rifle. We were on the Oregon coastal area, and returned to Corvallis where we were both in school at Oregon State University. We did not go to the local sheriff, but rather Nancy took it to her home in Parkdale, Oregon (very close to Mt. Hood) and gave it to her Dad. He then took it to the local sherrif, and they put out a call to see if anyone had lost it. After over a week, when no one claimed it, it was theirs. It was a very expensive 300 Savage rifle. This snorkeling trip occurred on August 5th, 1973. :wink:

SeaRat

I've found a $50 bill under the reef once. One spot in Maine, found a new pole spear and a new weight belt with like 34 lbs of lead. Put the belt on and figured I would crawl to shore. Went another 40 feet and found an identical pole spear and weightbelt.

Also have found a brand new fiberglass folding ladder, more than one cell phone- one with credit card and drivers license, a brand new dive computer in 12 feet under a dock, a wallet with ID and no money, a bunch of weight belts (at least 20), masks, fins, snorkels, at least one gear bag, several pole spears, several spearguns, a scuba regulator, medical oxygen bottles, many fishing poles (some like new), many fishing kites, dozens of anchors, a very cool custom roach clip on a set of keys (I had for a long time), many hats, some nice sunglasses, unopened beer I ended up drinking, hundreds of pounds of lead fishing weights, many lures, many pounds of lost dive weights/pouches, many catch bags, lost oxygen deco bottle and regulator.

Items keep coming to me as I think. Sea shells probably don't count, but perhaps turtle bones and an alligator skull in salt water, might? A ton of dive knives, many dive lights, marker buoys and weights and rope, landing nets for fishing, many lobster loopers/nooses, one 40-ft dive boat filled with a half a dozen sets of gear (but we kinda knew where to look since it sunk that day), many fishing gaffs and.. a stolen and dumped auto, a full set of golf clubs still in the bag,
My goodness, do you dive in Goodwill stores? So much stuff!

I found a literal sex toy in Ginnie, about 900ft back in the cave.

In the beginning of a dive, I came across a 2lb soft weight. Clearly hadn't been down long. Then a few feet later, I came across another one. Then I realize these must be mine. New BC at the time, and I had forgotten to zip closed the weight pockets. Luckily I found them or I might have had a tough time doing my stop.

In the beginning of a dive, I came across a 2lb soft weight. Clearly hadn't been down long. Then a few feet later, I came across another one. Then I realize these must be mine. New BC at the time, and I had forgotten to zip closed the weight pockets. Luckily I found them or I might have had a tough time doing my stop.

I love it when past-me leaves gifts for current-me, but I don't think I'd enjoy it much in that context.

My one and only find so far was a pair of goggles (not a mask) in Lake Tahoe while doing my OW course.

Forgot one. The most perplexing one for me was an anchor. I ended up selling it as it was way too big for my boat. Included was anchor, chain, and line. The line had been cleanly cut. Definitely not a break. So, we unraveled it and brought up the end of the line during the ascent. At our safety stop, we realized that the line did not go all the way to the surface. It stopped right at safety stop depth. Tide swings in this area are only a few feet. So somehow, for some reason, the line was cut well below the surface.

I surfaced, grabbed a line from the boat and swam it down to my buddy who was doing an extended safety stop with the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom