When a liveaboard trip is cancelled the day you arrive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you get the DiveAssure Liveaboard Rider? I just re-read it. Yeah, it says mechanical failure or financial default of the operator, but nothing about the operator canceling on a whim (i.e., business decision).

SammyW- it was 2k in flights alone.

I would push to get some money to cover the wasted 2k. Not sure if it will work but I would try.

And lost vacation time. For some of us, a week’s vacation is a lot of money.

Exactly - I made the best of it I could, but I really was not happy over the wasted time.

I would push to get some money to cover the wasted 2k. Not sure if it will work but I would try.

And lost vacation time. For some of us, a week’s vacation is a lot of money.

Yep
Did you get the DiveAssure Liveaboard Rider? I just re-read it. Yeah, it says mechanical failure or financial default of the operator, but nothing about the operator canceling on a whim (i.e., business decision).

Erica I'm sorry that sounds like a really crummy experience.

Did Aggressor really not have more than 24 hours advance notice (the time you were travelling) that the other group was not coming? And if the group no-showed with little or no advance notice, wouldn't Aggressor already have 100% of their payments anyway, so they already have funding to take the boat out?

Did Aggressor notify you at all in advance that there was any risk this trip wouldn't run?

I hope you get a replacement voucher with a couple location options you are excited about.

I have done several liveaboards in the last 10 plus years and never had one canceled. I traveled 20 plus hours, one way, to get to Oman, for a trip I won, only to have it canceled the day I arrived. I was told this was due to another group canceling and that it was too expensive to take the boat out for just 1 or 2 people. I was given the offer of staying on the boat and taking day trips out with another provider but I didn't really want to stay on a boat in a marina alone on Christmas. The only other thing offered was an extension of my voucher.

Has this happened to you? It was with Aggressor so I really thought that this trip would go on. What compensation were you offered?

Other notes: I won the trip in February 2017 and was given until January 2018 to use it. Not a problem except cruises didn't start until late November 2017, giving me very little time to actually use it.

I received only 24 hours notice from when my boat was to leave - I don't know what notice they had- but i didn't get anything more than knowing the day I arrived in Oman (Friday and the boat was to leave Saturday). I agree the Aggressor should have had their payments anyway and had the funding. I had NO advance notice that this may not take place. In fact I was in shock when i received the call that I would not be going. I have asked for a voucher to a different location - I am still waiting to hear back.

Erica I'm sorry that sounds like a really crummy experience.

Did Aggressor really not have more than 24 hours advance notice (the time you were travelling) that the other group was not coming? And if the group no-showed with little or no advance notice, wouldn't Aggressor already have 100% of their payments anyway, so they already have funding to take the boat out?

Did Aggressor notify you at all in advance that there was any risk this trip wouldn't run?

I hope you get a replacement voucher with a couple location options you are excited about.

Wow, this is pretty crappy. Yes, they should already have 100% of the other group's payment that close to departure so it doesn't even seem like a talking point that they didn't have a minimum number to run from a cost perspective. While I had my first experience with Aggressor a few months ago and it was amazing but an experience like this would really put me off to traveling with them in the future. They have really screwed you over and I hope they make it right. You've given up a lot of time and money for them to pull the rug out from underneath you. This is also horrible PR and I hope they see this. Please keep us updated on what happens!

I will keep you up to date on what happens- I have never gone with aggressor but I heard good things, several of my friends are top underwater photogs and go on them often, so I was excited. But I have a bad taste in my mouth now and i just wasn't sure what to expect them to do.

Wow, this is pretty crappy. Yes, they should already have 100% of the other group's payment that close to departure so it doesn't even seem like a talking point that they didn't have a minimum number to run from a cost perspective. While I had my first experience with Aggressor a few months ago and it was amazing but an experience like this would really put me off to traveling with them in the future. They have really screwed you over and I hope they make it right. You've given up a lot of time and money for them to pull the rug out from underneath you. This is also horrible PR and I hope they see this. Please keep us updated on what happens!

Sorry for this and I have to assume they will make this right by you! If not, Yelp, as well as here is your friend.

Lesson learned! Ask this very question to the reservation dept and document it and ask your insurance provider to cover such and document it as well!

I’m sorry to hear what happened to you, but this sounds really strange & very unprofessional coming from a worldwide reputable liveaboard company that strives for the best liveaboard company in the world. They should at least have contacted you before you go on that long flights.

I just came back from a similar long-flight liveaboard trip (Houston-Palau) with Palau Aggressor II last week. I was so impressed with their service & professionalism. I rank them the top 2 of 9 liveaboard companies I have been in. They ran the dive program so smoothly, on time and as planned like a German fine tune machine. Great food & kept my cabin cleaned too. Gave them very good tips at the end as a token of my appreciation. I even already booked for another trip on Maldives Aggressor II for December 2018 and bringing a couple of my dive buddies to join me on this upcoming trip. Your situation makes me leery about my next dealing with Aggressor Fleet. At least I’ll make dang sure to check with them that the trip would be a go at least a month before the trip as my vacation time is very limited & worth a lot more to me than the flight & liveaboard cost combined.

When I booked a liveaboard trip through liveaboard.com, they always warn me to not buy any flight tickets until the trip is a go. I can see why now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom