When is it time to upgrade to a "better" reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm interested in knowing at which point someone considers a higher-end reg.

For example, Aqualung lists the Titan as an entry-level model and I've heard it's a great reg for someone new to diving. So I'm assuming that if you're a casual, recreational diver, it can offer years of good service.

I'm asking because I'm seriously considering taking an advanced open water course with a strong interest in doing deeper dives and possibly nitrox. Part of that, based on what my LDS said is required, is having my own reg setup & BCD.

So at what point does one say, "I need to move past my Titan and look at a Legend or Atomic"?

Not really.....especially if you have the LX 2nd stage.
High end regs have a better theoretical gas flow rate but I can't think of any brand name reg made today that won't supply a diver or two with gas down to the recreational limit.

Honestly, your Titan should serve you well for the dives you want to do.
The first and second stage designs of the Titan reg have been around for many years. The reg is reliable, easy to service, and a very good performer.

Fishpie mentioned the Titan LX second stage. It has a barrel poppet design, whereas the Titan second stage is a classic downstream valve. In fact, the Titan LX second stage is identical to the Legend second stage (the one not featuring the breathing adjustment knob).

Stick with the Titan. I'd recommend spending your money on other scuba-related items: other gear, more training, fills, boat trips, weekend trips, dive vacations, etc.

My take is that since my life depends on it, I'm buying the best regulator I can get . . . period! Going cheap on something that you depend on for life just plain never made much sense to me . . .

- Tim

My take is that since my life depends on it, I'm buying the best regulator I can get . . . period! Going cheap on something that you depend on for life just plain never made much sense to me . . .

- Tim

Glad to know you aren't my competition for SP109's on the used market. 40+ years old, and performing flawlessly! Likely last through my daughters lifetime too......

@tadawson: And how would you feel if I told you that a given $350 reg setup would be just as safe (with respect to performance, reliability, ease of tuning, ease of servicing, etc.) as a $1,000 top-of-the-line reg setup that had a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles?

So do you consider something like a Titan reg as "going cheap"?

- Tim

This absurdity about spending money on expensive regulators because "your life depends on it" is really getting tiresome. Learn to dive correctly and regulator failure will be an inconvenience, not a life threatening scenario. And then learn the most basic info about regulators and you'll understand that more expensive does not equal safer...if it did do you really think that ANY dive shop would ever sell any cheap regulator? Jeesh......I guess until then you can just keep believing the sales pitch.

So at what point does one say, "I need to move past my Titan and look at a Legend or Atomic"?

Never. Divers have done thousands of very extreme dives with regulators that don't perform any better than the titan. The LX 2nd stage is IMO a better design, and you might be able to tell a difference, you might not, but if its not too much extra its worth going for.

You cant go wrong using a Reg that is so reliable that dive shops use them for training & rental use. Think about it with a possible lawsuit for faulty equipment,they would tend to use what was reliable and easy to service. These regs would be used for rental as well as students taking OW as well as deep dive, night dive training ect. So as far as a reliable ,good breathing reg you should feel very confident diving with this in all recreational limits. (I own one, and like it as well as my Mares & Tusa regs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom