When is the Teric 2 releasing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went with two Teric’s
I have been diving AI since 2002, when I started out with a hosed unit, an Oceanic Pro Plus 2. I have been diving an Oceanic VT3 since 2010 and it still works perfectly, 1818 dives, 1915 hours. I have been through a few backup computers during this time, Cochran EMC14, Oceanic Geo 2, Dive Rite Nitek Q, and since 2019, a Sherwater Teric. I run the Teric off the same PPS transmitter that I use for the VT3. I run the Teric in OC Rec mode and it is perfect for my diving, no stop and light deco. The only thing I have to change is the nitrox mix, couldn't be simpler.
1676131231139.png

The problem is, my VT3 will not last forever, and I will need to replace it. I would like to replace it with a nice AI computer running Buhlmann with custom GFs. I would also like it to utilize a PPS transmitter, as I already own 3 from Oceanic. A second Teric would certatinly fit the bill, but I am hoping that there is something less expensive available by the time I need it. Currently, there is nothing that meets the bill. I keep hoping Shearwater will release an AI Peregrine. Maybe Aqua Lung will release what I want based on their i330R, but much simpler than their Apeks DSX.

We'll see.

I have been diving AI since 2002, when I started out with a hosed unit, an Oceanic Pro Plus 2. I have been diving an Oceanic VT3 since 2010 and it still works perfectly, 1818 dives, 1915 hours. I have been through a few backup computers during this time, Cochran EMC14, Oceanic Geo 2, Dive Rite Nitek Q, and since 2019, a Sherwater Teric. I run the Teric off the same PPS transmitter that I use for the VT3. I run the Teric in OC Rec mode and it is perfect for my diving, no stop and light deco. The only thing I have to change is the nitrox mix, couldn't be simpler.
View attachment 768934

The problem is, my VT3 will not last forever, and I will need to replace it. I would like to replace it with a nice AI computer running Buhlmann with custom GFs. I would also like it to utilize a PPS transmitter, as I already own 3 from Oceanic. A second Teric would certatinly fit the bill, but I am hoping that there is something less expensive available by the time I need it. Currently, there is nothing that meets the bill. I keep hoping Shearwater will release an AI Peregrine. Maybe Aqua Lung will release what I want based on their i330R, but much simpler than their Apeks DSX.

We'll see.
I bought my second one used.

Switching gasses is 3 lines of code. Costs nothing.

Peregrine is cheaper because no compass, no AI, cheaper rec housing, most likely cheaper screen and glass. Selling a Perdix and buying new, would barely net you enough to buy 100 pancakes.

Have you tried diving the Perdix in OC tec mode?
I have no idea Shearwater's business model (other than producing great products and providing great customer support..) but while there is certainly truth to certain features costing more than other features to physically produce (or cost to develop a certain software feature relative to number of units anticipated to be sold) there's also simply "What is our target customer willing to pay for x, y, or z?"
Such a wide range of divers, budgets and potentially desired features that refining an optimal product line is a business challenge in and of itself. "I bought your more expensive model but would have preferred to pay less for a few less features" isn't a motivation for a business to make a change to their product line; "I wanted to buy your Teric but bought a Descent instead due to GPS.." would be a data point towards having a GPS Teric (which would cascade into requiring a better battery since GPS would cut battery life dramatically, plus figuring out where to fit it, plus software to run it, etc etc...). Personally I'm still holding out while my Mantis M1 works, but a Teric with GPS plus a heart rate monitor would be something I would make a point to buy if within my budget... (Throw in wireless PPO2 monitoring somehow and I would be absolutely thrilled, but that feature might easily push my dream Teric v3000 to a price point I would hesitate to buy given there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with my Petrel II and NERD2... Indeed it would be worth observing for me personally the Petrel III improvements aren't sufficient to push me to upgrade unless someone was willing to buy my 4pin AK Petrel II for above what I would consider a fair used price...)

If they’re both more than what you really need, sell, and downgrade to a Suunto Zoop and no AI.

What did he do to you recommending a suunto????? Friends don't let friends dive suunto.

A Peregrine AI would actually make a lot of sense as it would be a great choice for folks who have zero interest in tech diving but want a lower cost SW with AI! I suspect we’ll see one soon!
Agreed. If Shearwater released a Peregrine AI for a reasonable price, I’d probably buy two of them. I’ll keep my Perdix, but a Peregrine AI would be perfect for my daughters.

I have been a Teric user since day one and opted for a second for my tech diving over the Perdix; I find the screen easier to see and having two of the same helps as I can use muscle memory to change settings and no thought needed.

Unfortunately lost (someone permanently borrowed 😒) one of them so on the market for another and holding out in case Shearwater creates a v2 but as many have said … what can they change?? Reducing thickness and maybe battery life is about all I can think of. Until GPS works underwater or they can install equivalent of a Nautilus for emergencies, Teric is #1.

The teric is fantastic and I have not had any battery issues. Ok, it drains faster than it originally did but still on the original battery and simply charge between all dives.

Thats one of the Terrics perks. Nobody can steal it, if Im wearing it. My warm water diving has been some pretty shady places.

Surface gps would be fine. Dont need it underwater. Would just be too cool if my dive logs recorded actual location.

My Terrics been great. I keep the compass off.

Not absolutely needed but I always thought that the feature that UK dc has of having the built in O2 analyzer display is pretty cool.. connect your O2 sensor to it and boom, you're set. They could have it be a bluetooth connection instead of a plug to ve backwards compatible with older SW.

It's not something needed.. but since we're dreaming.

Shoot while I'm at it I also want an app to manipulate the dc from my phone. That makes life so much easier. Could even have a few "profiles" saved for different types of diving. Easy to view dive plans, etc. Not that it's hard to switch gases or anything, but it's just better on a touchscreen.

And maybe GPS since we're under the hood🤣

I think SW is way ahead of most of the competition.. but these little things would keep it there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom