When to start considering CCR training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but you don't have to see stuff underwater. Unless someone is paying you to dive, it's for fun, and we are all managing some level of risk for that fun. You are making a risk-benefit analysis, and so is the OP. Why tell someone that there is no reason to go to CCR unless they are doing dives that can't be done any other way?

You had better be a competent oc diver because when you bailot you are now an oc diver. So if you haven't mastered oc diving finding that out when you have to bail out doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Yeah, but you don't have to see stuff underwater. Unless someone is paying you to dive, it's for fun, and we are all managing some level of risk for that fun. You are making a risk-benefit analysis, and so is the OP. Why tell someone that there is no reason to go to CCR unless they are doing dives that can't be done any other way?
Why increase your risk unnecessarily?

I am not talking about deep diving. In the Florida cave diving community the Sidekick is all the craze right now and people are doing cave dives with a single dilulent / bailout tank. They only have 1 first stage. I have heard the theory is their buddy is there if their first stage bites the dust. These same people would never do a cave dive on oc with a single tank but somehow they have convinced themselves this is okay. As far as carrying less tanks it has been said by several of these divers that they went to a rebreather because they didn't like carrying stages.

Yeah, I agree, that sounds unsafe to me, although I'm not sure why the actions of this particular group of divers should affect the OPs decision to go to CCR. I'm not familiar with their setup, but in general terms I agree with you that redundancy is important in any overhead environment...

You had better be a competent oc diver because when you bailot you are now an oc diver. So if you haven't mastered oc diving finding that out when you have to bail out doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Absolutely, which was my very first post in this thread, I told the OP that he should dive more before considering a CCR.

But in my post that you responded to, I was just saying that experienced OC divers might want to go to CCR even if they weren't doing it for dives that absolutely can't be done on OC.

I'm still trying to grasp why a discussion regarding training for CCR is taking place in "Basic SCUBA Discussions".

Although it is true that you can't see stuff below rec depths without tech diving.

You can't see stuff below rec depths without tech diving.

Duh.

Yeah, but it's not necessary to see that stuff.

What about cave diving? As far as I can tell, there is a massive increase in risk to see stuff that is - to me - very similar to the stuff that you can see without swimming 1000 feet past a restriction. You like cave diving, and that's fine. I don't post that people shouldn't cave dive because they are increasing their risk "unnecessarily".

Some people just enjoy rebreather diving for it's own sake.

Yeah, but it's not necessary to see that stuff.

What about cave diving? As far as I can tell, there is a massive increase in risk to see stuff that is - to me - very similar to the stuff that you can see without swimming 1000 feet past a restriction. You like cave diving, and that's fine. I don't post that people shouldn't cave dive because they are increasing their risk "unnecessarily".

Some people just enjoy rebreather diving for it's own sake.
If I want to see something, I want to do it in the least risky way (within reason. Inb4 the "hurrhurr use a submarine" comments).

Adding a ccr to the mix generally doesn't reduce risk. It increases it.

So...what's the point? To play techie dress-up make-pretend?

And no, what you see in the front of a cave can be wildly different from what's in the back of a cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom