When Were You a Diving Stud?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Diving has long been the invisible sport. Patches on the jackets, C-cards, even social media allow for bragging rights. Almost every diver sounds like a diving hero within 5 minutes of any discussion. But, sometimes we do things that truly are stud worthy!

What's ironic is when divers actually do something that warrants a little bragging, we tend to clam up.

Rescues are one thing. When we save someone in an emergency or assist a distressed diver, we are just happy everything turned out okay, then we go back to business as usual. We may even forget we made a rescue by the time we get home. Heck, when I worked as a dive guide in the islands, we'd sometimes make more rescues than trips to the head in a single day. Other than rescues, some of our best diving stories are when we become accidental heroes.

One of my favorite stories about being "too cool for school" happened when I was diving with Silent World in Key Largo. On the first dive, the ocean was a washing machine of wave action and visibility on the Benwood Wreck was about 3 feet. I used to work for a couple operators in Key Largo and Islamorada, so I knew the wrecks and most of the reefs well. Diving conditions were ridiculous. I could barely figure out where I was on the wreck. After enough bottom time to feel like I had been diving, I decided to surface and look for the dive boat -- an act I almost never had to do. I located it, set my compass, and proceeded to return along the bottom. When I surfaced, the crew yelled at me to "Grab the line!" I thought it was a ridiculous request because the surface current was negligible and I could easily swim to the ladder several yards away. "Trace! Grab the line!" was the answer to my hesitation. I did as instructed. "SWIM!" came the immediate command. Huh? I saw the crew pointing frantically behind me so I swam in the direction people were pointing and shouting for me to go. Turned out a rebreather diver was in trouble on the surface. I got the tag line to him and the crew reeled us in. Fortunately, he was just tired to the point of exhaustion from the heavy seas and it ended well.

BUT ... that's not the part of the day that made me seem like a stud.

The captain got on the radio and called around looking for better vis for us for a second dive. The deep ball on a reef had blue water. On board was a father and two sons diving rebreathers and a father and two daughters who were newly minted OW divers. The plan was for me to buddy with the dad and his son since the other son was the rebreather diver who surfaced tired and stressed. He was going to sit out the second dive. We'd get dropped on the ball for a drift dive in 90 feet, pop bags, and get picked up after the boat took the father and his girls to a shallower site. The father and son splashed and disappeared. I jumped in and descended but they were nowhere in sight. I dropped to 90 and leveled off figuring I'd catch them if I finned with the drift. Nope. Turned out I was solo. I realized I had the wrong DSMB in my pocket. I had been teaching a solo diver class at Jules Undersea Lodge and only had my itty bitty short 1 meter/3.3 feet long Halcyon DSMB I use for teaching and not my 6 ft. long one I used for ocean diving. Great. Big waves and a small bag. I've seen Open Water and dated one of the women cast in the movie to boot. I figured my best bet for not getting run over by a boat and for not ending up adrift was to anchor myself in place in shallow water. When I reached a spur and groove system in the coral wall, I knew where I was. If I followed the grooves, I'd end up among a bunch of mooring balls. I also thought maybe the boat would be there? I found a mooring and began looking around for a hull. I visited two or three sites. No boat. Oh, well ... At that point, I decided to just pop my DSMB and then hang out on a mooring until picked up. I shot the bag and surfaced. As I was spooling up the line, I heard hands clapping. I turned around to see the captain and the family standing on the bow about 30 feet away. "What amazing navigation!" the captain said as everyone continued to clap.

After I climbed the ladder, people were asking who I was and how I did that. I just shrugged it off and said something like, "Eh. I'm just the training director of PSAI."

What I really was, was lucky. But, they didn't need to know that. :D

Has anyone else lucked themselves into stud status?

Last edited:
My favorite brag moment was a dive on the Speigel Grove with GUE. They had a South Florida Conference and Scuba Radio had asked me to attend so I could translate for them. On Sunday they had a dive set up with Captain Slate! Cool. After the dive, I saw Jarod Jablonski and he commented on how good I looked in terms of trim and buoyancy. Wow. Knock me over with a feather after that unsolicited complement from the King of DIR. Then he motions his videographer over to interview me. Here's the video, and I show up just before 7:30. I guess I'm GUE's Strokesperson! :D :D :D

BTW, during the ScubaRadio show, I was sitting with JJ on my left and Neal Watson on my right. It took about a half a sec to realize that neither knew who the other one was. JJ was a champion of diving trimix below 100' and Neil was a pioneer of deep assed air. The new guard sat on my left and the old guard was to my right and they didn't have a clue about where we came from or where we were going.

Love button. I came across that before and it made my day when you popped up.

I was diving with Casey and he gave me a compliment about riding his scooter like it was mine instead of his. That was like a Super Bowl ring. I'm really surprised how insular some of the folks have been in our industry. You and I aren't shy. We just go say hello to the legends and the newbies alike. I was with a UTD instructor who was standing next to Neal. I said, "Have you met Neal Watson? Tell him how you did the Grand Traverse at Peacock with me. If you think that's far, Neal did a dive from the Bahamas to Florida."

Neal did a dive from the Bahamas to Florida."
Actually, I think it was from Key largo to Miami, but he did fly a lawnmower from Florida to the Bahamas. Funny guy.

Oh, right you are! Just looked it up. 66 mi Keys to Miami.

Oh, right you are! Just looked it up.
I spent a week diving with him, Slate, Purdy and a bunch of others on the Aquacat. THAT was an interesting trip. It was a celebrity dive week and I was the token "nobody" on the boat. They knew the interwebs was something, but they didn't quite know what to do with guys like me. Just about every other dive had someone going to 200ft on an AL80. Fun times.

This thread is too short! I know there are a lot more great stories out there, but I suspect they can be more easily elicited with beers.

This thread is too short! I know there are a lot more great stories out there, but I suspect they can be more easily elicited with beers.
Working on the eliciting part. But no scuba stud stories here... but still having fun working on it as prescribed by you...

When I was 5 I'd put on my little mask and snorkel and dive with Mike Nelson whilst watching Sea Hunt. In Iowa. Does that get any points? No?

Back
Top Bottom