When Were You a Diving Stud?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[The boat captain was cited by the FWC for reckless boating, excessive speed, and no lookout. I would like to think we both learned things that day without much harm being done.

How did they find the boat? Surely you did not note the registration number on the hull as it was bearing down on you??

Did they notice they'd run over you and stop?

Rescuing my instructor who was having a heart attack during a salvage operation in a flooded mine. Instructor spent three weeks in the hospital and recovered.

That sounds pretty badass. Feel like sharing a more full account? Were you down with him? What class were you taking that involved doing salvage work in a mine? A commercial diving class?

It was on my last AOW check out dive in the late 70's. We were at a flooded mine to salvage some old mining equipment and we were both on the surface ready to descend. I noticed that helooked like he had trouble breathing and was turning blue. We were about 10 yards from each other. I swam to him and removed his weight belt and made sure his BCD was inflated. I then removed his tank as well as my tank and weight belt. I cross chest carried him to shore where other divers in the group were waiting. We put him in the van and rushed him to the hospital. Oh yeah, I got my AOW card when he recovered. :)

Forgot to mention that we returned to the mine and brought up the mining equipment with lift bags so mission accomplished.

The other day I was surface swimming when a piece of seaweed touched my bare leg and I didn't even flinch. Beat that.
So, I'm diving off of Canon Beach here in Key Largo and teaching while we're floating on the surface. I go to flip a bit of seaweed out from between us and feel it's a fish. Closer examination reveals the cutest Sargasso Frogfish. That was COOOOOL!

Sargassum-Frogfish-1-457x305.jpg

How did they find the boat? Surely you did not note the registration number on the hull as it was bearing down on you??

Did they notice they'd run over you and stop?
The boat that hit me came back and picked me up, they thought that they had "hit a turtle". They took me South to Hillsboro Inlet, where the fish weigh in took place. I had left from Boynton Inlet. The captain of the Underwater Explorer, Kevin Metz, came down to Hillsboro, picked me up, took me to the hospital for diagnosis and therapy, and dropped me off at home. Thank you Kevin. Read all about it in Alert Diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom