When your spouse isn't a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I see in responses on another thread that this is a problem....

It hasn't been in my case....

Years ago my wife agreed to try scuba in Maui and after one dive agreed that I could dive all I wanted as long as she didn't have to again....

Works for me....

I respect her wishes and we find plenty of other things to enjoy together. I also encourage her in things that I have absolutely no interest in....

How do you handle the issue of:

*The Spouse that doesn't dive*

So it is natural that your spouse does not have the exact interests as yourself. It doesn't matter though, if people respect each other needs.

My wife does not dive, but it is really not an issue. If we plan a vacation that involves diving, I will do 2 a day, preferably starting early, and then join her for the rest of the day, doing other fun stuff. I try not to be one dimentional (that's a good advice in general).

Anyway, it doesn't have to be a problem.

Ari :)

I try to encourage her to pursue her own interests/hobbies as much as possible. If she feels she is getting her share of "personal time", then getting my dive time is easy.

It's like that old "family bank account" analogy -- as long as you make more "deposits" than "withdrawals", no problem. ;-)

She hasn't been in the water since our honeymoon in the Carribean. First she claimed that once she had a taste of diving in warm water, she didn't want to get back in Lake Superior. My response was " Well, lets go get you that drysuit!" - but that didn't work either

For the most part she doesn't even flinch anymore when I tell her I'm going - unless its a weekend thing. She's getting used to all of the hobbies that I enjoy, and like the others, I encourage her in the things she likes to do. Different strokes for different folks. If she liked everything I like, I probably wouldn't like her!:freak:

My wife hates going under the water!!
Loves sitting on the beach.
Lucky for me she loves seafood.
So she sends me diving to get lobster and flounder :)
Oh the hardships I must endure hehe!!!
Rick L

Just for contrast.....
My wife does dive and my 16 year old son and my 15 year old daughter. My wife and I are both trimix divers and have all the equipment to go with it. It's a great family activity but...

After about seven years of talking, my wife will start her OW this month :thumb:. She's only interested in warm waters which is cool with me. It's pretty tough when you have such dissimilar interests. We just do our own things sometimes. Hopefully, she'll enjoy scuba.

Mike

My wife is specifically a "warm water" diver. Which means that if she has to wear more than a shorty, she will opt for land based adventuring. We do take warm water destination vacations, and she will dive, but she is not as enthusiastic as I. (But I wish I had her air consumption rate) We are expecting a baby, so my dives are currently local. While I dive she pursues her interests (art, shopping, antiques, did I mention shopping?) on shore. She is very supportive of my hobby.

Luckily, my partner and I got into scuba together, and both love it. What about the rest of you ladies out there? Are any of you leaving behind pouting spouses?

Scuba-sass :)

i feel fortunate enough to have my girlfriend as not only my dive buddy but a fellow instructor as well as my partner in our own shop. we try to arrange events for the non-divers in our store club as this was one of the complaints we often heard nothing for the non diver to do so far it's working out fairly well but we will see when the ice thaws and the real intense diving starts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom