When your spouse isn't a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug,

Pretty much the same as you. My wife did dive at one time (never avidly), but arthritis precludes that activity now. Not a problem - we've always done some vacationing separately and now she has no problem staying behind instead of being bored at the remote locations I tend to visit for diving. We usually take a few trips together each year to visit friends or family and often use those occasions as an opportunity to be tourists.

My SO tried one dive in 1983 (a very well run "resort course" dive). She was glad she did it, but that was enough for her-for a variety of reasons.
Since that time, I am very fortunate in that she knows how much I love to dive, and when we travel (2-3 times a year), the "drill" is the same: I get up, go do 3-4 dives , and we meet for dinner, etc. She will tour, shop, sit by the pool, just relax.
As we live and work together, we can be apart-on the same vacation- and still have a great time.
Thank God she's an angel about it!!(Yes, I do tell her!!)

MikeD

Mrs. 100days would be called 50days-a-year.The other times she spends with friends,shops and in general spends about what I do on diving .Nice set-up for us.May not work for others..

My wife is a non diver, heck she can’t even swim. But when I dive she comes with me. She is my surface support team. Weather seated by the shore or on the deck of a boat, when I come up she’s there, ready with a towel an ice cold water bottle and kiss on the cheek.

Dive Safe ………… Arduous

Well, I feel like I am jumping into the men's locker room here, I dive but my husband does not. We both grew up in Key West where he did dive (pre era when certification was required) and I never did. He introduced me to snorkeling when we dated, which I have always loved. I vowed many years ago that I wanted to learn to dive. Years, have pased and he never wanted to go with me to get certified. Anyway I had the opportunity to go to Maui last year with family, they told me in no uncertain words we will be diving. So, I went alone and got my OW certification. I am totally addicted to diving. My husband is satisfied and is glad for me to enjoy diving. Now he is just 3 months out of a heart attack with angioplasty and a stent, he can't dive but will still snorkel. We are going to Playa del Carmen in Feb. and I will dive while he snorkels, but we will also do some snorkel trips together. There are alot of other fun things to do together. Guess, I am just a little strange, some of the women at my LDS say I am brave to be alone or buddy with others. I find it interesting. I like meeting people and this is one good way.

To all Divers: Keep taking your spouses with you.

To all non-diving spouses: Keep going with them. You never know what other adventure you may stumble upon.

Although we are a dive dedicated charter yacht we provide plenty of top side activity for both divers and non-divers; kayaks, water skiing etc. We have a metel detector and have sent non-divers to the beach and have been amazed at the cool stuff they find. I would be so lucky, all I find is quarters and bottle caps.

Does taking applications for a dive buddy girlfriend count?

In August when my diving husband and I were in Cozumel, he had an ear problem and had to sit topside for 3 days. Every moring he'd get up and help me pack my gear and have a light breakfast with me before taking me to the boat pick-up and kissing me good-bye. He stayed on the beach, shopped downtown, and took naps.

He said he wouldn't have missed the excited look on my face each afternoon I came back or the 2nd hand reports of the dives.

Meanwhile I reafirmed that while I choose to dive with him, I am capable of diving with others. --Starfish

Well I have the A quatic I nduced D ivource S yndrome
and to tell the truth I don´t even suffer.
Guess it is one way to deal with it too. and it stops any...:argue:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom