Where are the turtles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humdiver

Reaction score
Planning a trip to Hawaii for the fall and have to see turtles a few books tell me to go to Kaui but cant find a thing about them else where maybe my books are old but you all know better
Where are the turtles??

humdiver:
Planning a trip to Hawaii for the fall and have to see turtles a few books tell me to go to Kaui but cant find a thing about them else where maybe my books are old but you all know better
Where are the turtles??

We dive with them every day throughout various dive spots around Kailua-Kona, Big Island.

humdiver:
Where are the turtles??

What turtles are you looking for? The Honu'ea turtle loosely translated ( Hawksbill turtle) come out at night for moonlight swims and their counterparts the Honu turtles swim by day. They are found on the big island of Hawaii and have no immuen system for the bacteria that human hands carry so just touching them can cause death as usual when diving look but don't touch, both are members of the endager species group so take lots of pictures and give us all a look. Good diving!! Cher ( did a story on the little fella's)

cherinere:
What turtles are you looking for? The Honu'ea turtle loosely translated ( Hawksbill turtle) come out at night for moonlight swims and their counterparts the Honu turtles swim by day. They are found on the big island of Hawaii and have no immuen system for the bacteria that human hands carry so just touching them can cause death as usual when diving look but don't touch, both are members of the endager species group so take lots of pictures and give us all a look. Good diving!! Cher ( did a story on the little fella's)

There are so many green sea turtles here they are talking about opening up a season on them again. I don't think the greeens are on the ESL, just the hawksbills.
Tell us which island your going to and I'll tell you the best spots.

Lots of turtles off of S. Maui.

A common combination for boat trips out of Kihei is a 1st dive at Molokini, followed by a 2nd dive at St. Anthony's wreck to see the turtles. No guarantees, but I'll gladly bet you with 10 to 1 odds that you'll find some there.

Wildcard:
There are so many green sea turtles here they are talking about opening up a season on them again. I don't think the greeens are on the ESL, just the hawksbills.
Tell us which island your going to and I'll tell you the best spots.

was thinking about Kaui or Hawaii We need few people and more quiet we both detest cities and will be traveling with my 3 year old son and his grandma. I know nothing can be promised on a dive im just looking to raise the odds any type of turtle will do I have dove with both hawksbill and loggerhead in Cozumel but my man has not. hes quite jealous!!info on reputable dive operators is also greatly appreciated!

There used to be a sizeable nesting spot for greenies in a big boulder field on the northern side (if I remember correctly) of the boat channel into Honokahau Harbor in Kailua-Kona. It might've been about a 100yd swim or so to the spot; maybe in 20-30ft of water, not very deep. We happened across it while coming back in from further out where a dive boat (Kona Coast Divers) was hanging for its 2nd dive -- somebody else might know if there's a name for the spot... Obviously, take precautions for boat traffic.

I don't think you could possibly dive, or even just snorkel, on the Big Island and not see a turtle! There are LOADS of them!

(We saw turtles while diving on Kauai, but none snorkeling. But it could have just been bad luck, and also we've spent much more time on the Big Island than on Kauai).

In my case, the dive sites where I found the most turtles were:

1) Makaha Caverns, west side of Oahu
2) Place of Refuge, west side of Big Island

Both are shore dives, so the reward/price ratio was pretty high :wink:

Here's one picture I took at Makaha.

Eddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom