Where are the turtles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Island: I think the dive site mentioned by bluemagoo is the one called 'turtle cleaning station' for obvious reasons- dove there and saw about four huge turtles being cleaned- But then did place of refuge as posted above and was surrounded by them. Almost guranteed I would say.

humdiver:
was thinking about Kaui or Hawaii We need few people and more quiet we both detest cities and will be traveling with my 3 year old son and his grandma. I know nothing can be promised on a dive im just looking to raise the odds any type of turtle will do I have dove with both hawksbill and loggerhead in Cozumel but my man has not. hes quite jealous!!info on reputable dive operators is also greatly appreciated!

I've only been to Kaua'i and Oahu[Waikkiki] - but saw turtles both Diving and snorkeling off of both - although I saw more off of Kaua'i. Leesa got a very nice picture of a green when I went on a boat she was on off of Oahu, and we also saw then while snorkeling later. In Kauai - The shore dive off of Koaloa Landing had them all over the place!

I hear Kauai is packed with people trying to get away. If you want privacy and plenty to do Id have to place my vote for the big isle....I can assure you if you come to the big isle you WILL see turtles and lots of em. Place of Refuge aka two step is one of the best shore dives on the island ( dove it again yesterday!) and is crawling with turtles. The cleaning station out side theharbor usualy has turtles there. And the last place I can think of that you will for sure see the critters, even from the beach in Puako.

humdiver:
Planning a trip to Hawaii for the fall and have to see turtles a few books tell me to go to Kaui but cant find a thing about them else where maybe my books are old but you all know better
Where are the turtles??

Way back when I was a kid, early 70's, our family came over for 10 days, followed by 3 weeks a couple years later (hitting all the islands), we saw NO turtles, I was a kid and IF I had seen any turtles I woulda freaked. I think they were endangered at the time and considered somewhat of a rarity.

I owned an aquarium store in the late 80's and early 90's and people said my store reminded them of their trips to Hawaii and all the turtles they'd seen - didn't believe them.

Nowadays, turtles are pretty much commonplace in Hawaii. I've gone to Waikiki and walked the entire seawall/beach from the Hilton to Kapiolani Park, and we've seen turtles sporadically the entire length of the stretch. The few times I've snorkeled or dove Kauai or Maui we've seen turtles, and on the Big Island you just have to keep your eyes open when you are walking along the sea to see them. It's hare dto go an hundred yards or so without seeing them once you know what to look for (start looking for rocks about a foot or two under the water that seem to move over the course of a minute).

They are all over. Most dive operators are going to have any number of places where the chances of seeing turtles are pretty good, or better, just mention at the start of the day that you'd like to see turtles if possible, most operators will try to accomodate you.

Have fun,

Steve

Wildcard:
I hear Kauai is packed with people trying to get away. If you want privacy and plenty to do Id have to place my vote for the big isle....I can assure you if you come to the big isle you WILL see turtles and lots of em. Place of Refuge aka two step is one of the best shore dives on the island ( dove it again yesterday!) and is crawling with turtles. The cleaning station out side theharbor usualy has turtles there. And the last place I can think of that you will for sure see the critters, even from the beach in Puako.

The Place of Refuge has a nice turtle cleaning station in about 17-24 feet of water just south of the boat channnel (makai of the two pinnacles) that's becoming reasonalbly reliable at low tide the last couple of years. A good dive and a good chance of seeing a turtle cleaninig station for those who can't do boat dives.

Steve

I was fortuante enough to go to Kihei Maui twice this past year (an Alaskan appreciates paradise so close to home). If you have cash and are diving from the boats, the Molokini crater is almost certainly a place to see them. Turtles were at all the sheltered coves in the water both good for divers and snorkelers (Ahihi Cove, Ulua beach, Mokapu Beach). As others have mentioned, take pictures and don't get too close. I especially enjoy seeing a sleeping turtle and am amazed at how they can simply wedge themselves into a rock and sleep. Only saw one covered in tumors at Wash Rock.

I have dove the crater several dozen times and never saw a turtle there. All over the shores of Maui but I never saw them out there....

We were trying to get a buddies wife at ease in the water a couple of weeks ago at two step. New to the islands and the ocean. His wife, and two kids 7 and 9 were all in waist deep water just off the boat ramp. She puts on her mask and sticks her face in the water only to come face to face (two feet) with a turtle! She starts screaming so do the kids and they were all trying to get out of the water on his back. LMAO! So many turtles there you couldn't not see several dozen of them.....She's in OW training now!

Yeah you WILL see turtles...no odds about it. They are predictably at a number of places.

On Kauai - Ke'e and Tunnels.
Hawaii - Honaunau on the side close to the Place of Refuge park. Kahalu'u park. Or it's a definite almost all day next door in the lagoon by the Keauhou Beach Resort. At Honaunau you can always see them. I counted 15 within site one time. You have to be careful not to kick them or anything there are so many.

Always a plethora of info i dont know how i ever planned a trip to Australia with out all of your knowledge I appreciate it so much now i will have the BEST trip to Hawaii!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom