Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On Sun I got in a nice shore dive under a pier. Saw lots of calamari (which the fishermen were pleased to hear about when I got out) and the usual assortment of fish. One cute thing I saw was a scallop swimming along - they look hilarious :rofl3: No pictures this dive though :(

I did a couple of solo dives at Summersville Lake, finally mastered the twin steel 130s.

I got out for a solo dive last night. I was in my wetsuit (drysuit being fixed atm) and it was 9C so my coldest dive yet :cold: I only lasted 66 minutes! The site is where some old sea baths used to be so I spent time looking through the remains as lots of critters live hidden in the ruins.

Here is a little seahorse
3698193700_06fbd72872.jpg

A dumpling squid - these come back over winter and come out more often at night so I am starting to see heaps, find them very cute :)
3697376565_97a8e07221.jpg

An abalone in the sand - first time I have seen one like this, generally they are always stuck to things. Season is over though so left it as is!
3697376093_b58a318161.jpg

Cute nudi couple (Chromodoris epicuria)
3698187052_83cf42e5b8.jpg

Any one else get out for some solo dives lately?

I did a 120 minute solo dive in Tygart reservoir. Viz was about 2 feet. It's not a good place for buddy diving anyway.

I did a whole bunch of lost line drills. After a couple of drills there was so much silt stirred up that I didn't even have to close my eyes anymore.

Great photos Sas. I'll need to night-dive again soon, its been too long, and your photos reminded me of how much I enjoy it!

Best wishes.

I did a 120 minute solo dive in Tygart reservoir. Viz was about 2 feet. It's not a good place for buddy diving anyway.

I did a whole bunch of lost line drills. After a couple of drills there was so much silt stirred up that I didn't even have to close my eyes anymore.

Yes I hate buddy diving in low viz. So were you practicing for anything in particular?

Great photos Sas. I'll need to night-dive again soon, its been too long, and your photos reminded me of how much I enjoy it!

Best wishes.

Yes you should go out for one :) I love night diving, more so than day diving anyway so that might be a bit of a biased thing to say. :p Anyway, I find way more critters at night, and they tend to be doing more interesting things like hunting, feeding, mating and so on. The fish are very inquisitive too and chase my light around sometimes, whereas in the day they'll swim off if I approach them.

I did two solo dives this week-end.

Saturday I did a dive at a place called Sekiu Jetty, on the northwestern end of the Olympic Peninsula. It's a very shallow dive, among some gigantic boulders that stick out of the water. The "bay" in front of the rocks is completely covered in bull kelp. And the current sweeping through from Neah Bay into the Straits of Juan de Fuca makes this a very interesting place to dive, with diverse species of inverterbrate life, and massive schools of rockfish living among the kelp. Since I was diving it on a very low tide, it was almost like one long (92-minute) safety stop ... max depth 27 feet and average depth about 18 feet. Out past the rocks there's not much but sandy bottom and lots of fishing boats ... so I didn't go there. Overall it was a very nice, relaxing dive.

Today I did a dive I've been trying to do for four years ... a wreck in the Straits of Juan de Fuca called the Diamond Knot. This was my fifth attempt to get on this wreck ... and I decided to dive it solo. I did this dive on a 25/25 trimix with EAN50 for deco. Because the current here can be unpredictable, I had planned to shoot a bag and maker a mid-water ascent, letting the boat pick me up wherever the current took me. When we arrived, the current was stronger than we had anticipated ... strong enough to pull the upline ball completely underwater once we'd grappled the wreck ... so we had to sit for about 45 minutes till it slowed down a bit. Once we'd decided it was slowed down enough to give it a go, the boat motored upcurrent from the ball and dropped us in ... the three rebreather divers first, and then me. When the first team went down they pulled the ball down with them ... so I had to wait till they were on the wreck and the ball was back on the surface before I could go. I made a tactical decision to giant stride with my camera in my hand ... because I knew there was no chance the crew would be able to hand it down to me once I was in the water. But the drag of the camera and strobes proved to be too much of a "sail" in the current, and before I could even get my bearings I was past the ball and tag line. The boat picked me up ... I decided to leave the camera on board ... and tried it again. This time I got to the line without difficulty and pulled myself hand-over-hand to the wreck at about 80 feet. I immediately ducked behind some structure and just hovered there for a few minutes to let my pulse rate slow down ... then started poking around this gigantic ship that was completely covered in anemones. I pretty much stayed in the bow section ... varying my deptn between 80 and 120 feet and attempting to stay as much as possible in the shelter of the stucture where the current wasn't quite so bad. At one point I found a section that had some nice swim-throughs ... I could feel the current pushing through them and decided it would be good practice for my upcoming trip to cave country, so I swam through one in the "upstream" direction and then let the current push me back through the other one into the more sheltered structure on the lee of the bow. At about 40 minutes ... with the current showing no signs of slacking off ... I decided to cut the dive a bit short and shot a bag to begin a drifting ascent, switching over to my deco gas at 70 feet and making a 10-minute ascent from that point. As it turns out, I managed to get myself into an eddying current and was drifting in a gigantic circle the whole time. When I surfaced I was only a couple hundred feet from the upline.

This dive was definitely the most challenging solo dive I've done to date. But I felt prepared and confident ... and even though conditions were a bit worse than I had hoped for it was a great dive.

Now I have to plan to do it again sometime when there's less current and more visibility ... there's an awful lot of this wreck I didn't see.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

...I did this dive on a 25/25 trimix with EAN50 for deco....

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, solo on mixed gases. My hero. Someday I'd like to be at that level. Right now I've decided no solo deco, solo mixed-gas or solo cave diving for me. Yet.

Sounds like you had a challenging dive.

Last edited:
Whohoo! My tanks back from (passing) testing!
Maybe I can get in a dive or two this week :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom