Where do I start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, uh, I think I'm getting interested in getting into DIR, although some of these threads are intimidating. They might as well be Greek. But I love the idea finding ways to be a safer diver.

Anyway, it is probably answered somewhere here, but I couldn't find it.... how do I find a DIR course?

Thanks!

Doc Intrepid:
Closest place to your location is likely Fifth Dimension.

Give Mark a call at (425) 427-1282

They're located in Issaquah, on the outskirts of Seattle. Much more information on their classes, etc., on their site here:
http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html
BTW L2GD, Mark told me that if we can find 5 divers to take the class (and a pool), they'll do one in Spokane.

hi,

i ordered Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving, by Jarrod Jablonski and i got it in the mail a couple of days ago.

i haven't had time to read the book yet but browsed thru it and it has tons of information about DIR and... well... better diving.

we don't have, as far as i know, DIR instructors in portugal and this is also a nice way to get some info on the "system".

i think this is a very nice entry point into dir, if someone has no other way to do it. the forum helps a lot, lots of info, huge threads, but, sometimes, it can be a little difficult to find your way in the middle of all the pro-dir vs anti-dir confusion. the book fills the need for a place where you can find everything.

this will be on my bedside table for a long while...

love2godeep:
They might as well be Greek....how do I find a DIR course?

You mean might as well be geek.

www.gue.com

There you will find all the information you need on GUE instructors, their qualifications, locations, guidelines for the courses, etc.

You'll also find direct purchase info on the book mentioned above amoung other training materials.

love2godeep:
OK, uh, I think I'm getting interested in getting into DIR, although some of these threads are intimidating. They might as well be Greek. But I love the idea finding ways to be a safer diver.

Anyway, it is probably answered somewhere here, but I couldn't find it.... how do I find a DIR course?

Thanks!

I've been DIR since about Feb 2003, and some of these threads are still greek to me.

By prioritizing your desire to consider DIR as "finding ways to be a safer diver", you're already on the right road. Its not about secret handshakes, mysterious new gear configurations and non-computer diving - its ultimately about becoming a safer, more aware diver.

Get the book. While lots of the material is "well, duh..." lots of it was new to me. It helped a lot.

Surf this board - there are lots of DIR folks here. Talk with and dive with some DIR divers - there are many in your area.

The DIR/F class sorted out a lot of the questions I had remaining.

Its changed the way I dive - and diving DIR has ignighted many other changes in my life - fitness, wiser equipment purchases, additional reading and education, environmental awareness and appreciation and others. Its good stuff.

Don't be intimidated. get the book, ask some questions and see if its for you!

K

Ask and though shalt receive! We are sponsoring a DIR-F course in Vancouver BC, Canada in June. Thursday June 17th to Sunday June 20th to be exact. Sonya Tittle is coming from Florida to teach it and Josh Witherell is coming from Fifth D to assist. If you feel like visiting the west coast you are more than welcome to join us. I have taken the course myself and it's an excellent chance to transition into DIR ideas as well as a way of setting a baseline for your diving skills. You'll know exactly where you stand.
Send me a PM if you would like more details on the course. I would be more than happy to get you involved.

-helmet

love2godeep:

Thanks!

love2godeep: My shop brought Sonya to Kentucky last summer to teach the DIR Fundamantals class. She is a fantastic instructor (kudos to GUE instructors Mike Kane, Brandon Schwartz, and Scot Wernette who also came to teach). You will have a great time and learn a great deal if you can fit this Vancouver opportunity in your schedule. If not, be sure to check in with 5th Dimension. Best of luck.

L2GD,

Sonya just indicated that she may be adding one or more courses in your vicinity this summer. You may wish to contact her directly to discuss your opportunities.

She provided her email for interested students: Sonya@gue.com

You will enjoy the course.

Thanks so much for the input! It's so kind of you! I sort of had the idea that the DIR people were kind of standoffish, but it looks like I was wrong.

Still, I wonder how it would be if I was on the same dive boat as you, with my back-inflate BC and (oh horrors) AIR2???? Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a DIR diver in action, so maybe you try to avoid being on the same boats with us garden-variety divers!!!! :confined:

Well, I'm learning. . . . and I'm not stuck on my gear, except for matters of finances. As it is, my SO is not in favor of my buying gear at all. . . .

Speaking of gear, it looks like I'll need to make a committment to DIR before actually taking even the first course. ('d even have to buy tanks? Yikes!) I guess I was hoping there would be some sort of "Intro to DIR," where I could decide if I wanted to commit. From what I can gather, it will help a lot to read the book, and I shall do that.

I'll be honest; I guess deep-down I was hoping that I could keep my BC and still implement as many of the DIR principles as possible, but I'm gathering that that's not what it's all about. I'm not stuck on the AIR2, and I hoped that maybe my LadyHawk was close enough to wings to at least let me get started ..... I think my reg is OK (just need a longer hose), and at least I don't have split fins, although I wouldn't be surprised if my Force Fins would get a thumbs down. (I'm just about ready to donate them them to the dog, anyway.)

The training sounds fantastic! Just the sort of thing I've dreamed about. So far, I've only once had someone really mentor me on the important diving skills. I've tried to practice on my own during my dives, but of course the divemasters are always herding us along somewhere and I don't feel ready to strike out on my own underwater.

I've spent quite a bit of time on the Fifth Dimension and GUE sites I'll also get in touch with Sonya, although summers are really tight for me. We do summer camps/retreats (guess what! I teach snorkeling!), but something in late August or early June might work.

Thanks again, to each of you who responded. I'm getting more and more enthusiastic about the DIR approach to diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom