Where do I start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a DIR-F and make arangments to rent a BP/Wing.

love2godeep:
I'll be honest; I guess deep-down I was hoping that I could keep my BC and still implement as many of the DIR principles as possible, but I'm gathering that that's not what it's all about.

Part of the idea behind DIR is to resist the temptation to accomodate that which we believe is less efficient. Everything taught in your DIR-F class, or in DIR taken as a whole for that matter, has a well-thought out reason behind it. Accordingly, GUE is set out to seperate itself from the other agencies out there that allow for more flexible choices, irrespective of the fact that such a choice may very well be less efficient. Simply put, BP & wings are more efficent then jacket style BC's for a wide variety of reasons so what we don't want is an ad hoc "DIR" configuration that lends itself to some of the benefits to DIR, but ignores the totality of the issue. Do we believe that every person that leaves our class adopts every single aspect? Of course not, we know that divers will do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that we, as an organization, needs to cater to that process. We believe that the holositic nature of the system, and the uniformity amongst the team provides for a safer and more efficient way to approach a dive, so since we believe that, we teach it.

Hope that helps..

Regards,

Michael Kane

I couldn't agree more with MHK on this one. Where to start?.. based on my DIR-F class this very past weekend, I can absolutely conclude from my personal experience that you can't learn from the Internet and absolutely MUST take the class before you go any further in your diving education.

Are you in Washington State or Washington DC? If you are in DC, you may wish to drive up to Dutch Springs, PA and take a class with Bob Sherwood April 30th. Last I heard there are still a few spots left.

That would be step number one. If you are interested in taking DIR-F, or any class for that matter, the first thing to do is to find an instructor and talk with them. Bob Sherwood explained the DIR-F class to me this way (well, at least what I took from his explanation - sorry if I misquote you Bob): DIR-F is a gateway, a starting point. Understand that you don't need to be 'DIR' or have 'DIR' equipment, etc. Don't let it be as intimidating as people make it out to be. Go with an open mind to learn someone's way of diving. That's all it really is. You're learning about a diving system. Don't go with the twinkle of another C-Card in your eyes, but go to learn and you'll get your money's worth. Just my 2 psi. Heck, I haven't taken the class yet (July 2004 - can't wait), but that's what I intend to get out of it. An education - about DIR, about diving, and about myself. :)

-Frank

What you're saying makes a lot of sense. Yet until I experience it, I will have reservations about buying a whole new set of equipment. But I'm gathering that it is possible to rent a BP/wings setup? I'd heard that it wasn't.

Scuba-Punk, I'm with you. I don't care about the C card; I just want to learn more and more.

VTernovski, thanks for the tip. But I'm in Washington State. I used to live near DC but that was in my Before Scuba life.

Michael, I feel honored that you responded to my post. I hope someday to meet you and to take the DIR class. Maybe I'll fly to a location where you're offering the class. I live too far from any major population center to commute.

I'm sensing that the DIR community is actually very very nice. I just wish I could one of see you in action!

L2GD,

I totally understand the apprehension of buying new gear, and on a side note, it took my wife 3 months to make her own decision to get the BP/Wing rather than the LadyHawke she originally wanted. Fortunately for us, we had a great opportunity to take part in an Experience Day set up by Delia Milliron through www.subtidal.net . Basically it was a chance for us to try out the DIR gear on a fun dive. Joe Talavera (GUE Instructor) guided my wife and I on a nice dive in about 30' to 40' of water, and the gear was absolutely amazing. My wife from the moment we dropped down and started the dive knew the BP/Wing was a better way to go for her.

When we took the DIR-F course this past February, the rest of the gear configuration made a lot more sense. It really makes diving easier in my opinion (i.e. more efficient).

I'm not sure if you're going to be in Northern California anytime soon, but if you are, I'm sure you could join us at the next Experience Day. Something to think about. The next XP Day is set for May 8th, so that means the one after that will be in July sometime.

~ Jason

darkpup:
L2GD,
I'm not sure if you're going to be in Northern California anytime soon, but if you are, I'm sure you could join us at the next Experience Day. Something to think about. The next XP Day is set for May 8th, so that means the one after that will be in July sometime.

~ Jason

Jason, the Experience Day concept sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link. I shall definitely follow it up.

After looking about more on some of the DIR sites, it looks like I need to have logged at least 25 dives before I can take a DIR course. Is that true? And if so, do they have to be signed, documented, official? I have logged all my dives, but haven't bothered with having them officially stamped or signed.

Ok, I have a log book now that I've taken the DIR-F course, but I didn't have one before the class. I had close to 35 dives spread out over 16 years since I was certified. Janeane (my wife) had about 20 to 25 dives, and Ryan (a buddy) had about 12 to 15 dives since getting certified in August 2003.

Needless to say, we haven't completed the DIR-F course yet, but that really isn't the point of the class. Education is far more important than getting another C-Card, and the whole reason we wanted to take the class was to learn how to become safer divers. Thus we definitely learned a lot, and the class was a complete success.

The good news is that Joe has offered to help us learn the rest of the skills, and we're diving once or twice a week to improve on the skills we did learn and to have fun. In the end it's all good.

You'll probably want to discuss the number of logged dives with the instructor you're able to setup the class with. We had 5 divers in our class, and were able to put the newbies (Janeane, Ryan, and I) in one group while the more advanced divers (James and Andy) were able to do their own thing. Chances are the number of dives will help your instructor balance the experience of the students within the class.

Hope this helps.

~ Jason

Wait until you see real dir equipment before you buy! I bought Force fins before my course and then learned they do not work for the style of kicking they use. Even the hardware on the harness and the plate itself if very specific. I got certified in 73 and dir 'd in 02.DIR is the best system I have seen, whether lobstering, wrecks or even just recreational diving. If someone pooh poohs it, then accept that they don't know anything about it. But go for it, enjoy!

I just got Fundamentals of Better Diving, and I can't wait to read it! I'll probably be reading it tonight when I should be sleeping!

Thanks, Joe, for the good advice about choosing new equipment. You've also given me another rationale in my arsenal of reasons for getting rid of my Force Fins. So I guess I'll have to suffer with them until I can find a DIR course that will fit into my schedule, which may not be for another year. In the meantime, I've got dive trips planned to Mexico, South Africa, and the Philippines.

But won't I just be reinforcing bad habits that much longer? Well, maybe the book will enlighten me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom