Where is the line...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, and apologize in advance if this ends up taking this thread in an unintended direction.

Around the same time as the cited thread underwent moderation (with a conspicuous notice) there were a few other posts that disappeared from another, somewhat related thread (another thread about mini-season). I posted a comment in the second thread, noting the fact that posts disappeared without notice.

In attempting to cite that example for this post, I noticed my comment has also been deleted sometime after I posted it. (Or I just cant find it by looking through my post history.)

I don't dispute the right of Pete and Mods to manage the board as they see fit, but I don't really care for the "vanished without a trace" style of moderating that I've been impacted by first hand.

No PM, no Mod post - just gone like it was never there.

Is this really how it is supposed to work?

C'mon, Hoaty; try to keep up . . . Yes, that's how it's supposed to work, 'cause the Dutch said so!!!' :rofl3: :kiss2:

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, and apologize in advance if this ends up taking this thread in an unintended direction.

Around the same time as the cited thread underwent moderation (with a conspicuous notice) there were a few other posts that disappeared from another, somewhat related thread (another thread about mini-season). I posted a comment in the second thread, noting the fact that posts disappeared without notice.

In attempting to cite that example for this post, I noticed my comment has also been deleted sometime after I posted it. (Or I just cant find it by looking through my post history.)

I don't dispute the right of Pete and Mods to manage the board as they see fit, but I don't really care for the "vanished without a trace" style of moderating that I've been impacted by first hand.

No PM, no Mod post - just gone like it was never there.

Is this really how it is supposed to work?

I just went through the last week of posts made by you (~200). I found two posts that were deleted, both of which in the Mini Season thread that Jax is asking about.

There is a Mod post in that thread regarding the cleanup.

If you feel that you've had posts deleted in another thread with no notification, give me a link to the thread in question and I'll research it. However, as I've noted already, the notification is a courtesy, not a requirement and sometimes things happen and it gets overlooked.

If you feel that you've had posts deleted in another thread with no notification, give me a link to the thread in question and I'll research it. However, as I've noted already, the notification is a courtesy, not a requirement and sometimes things happen and it gets overlooked.

Thanks - PM sent.

How moderation works: (I could not help myself)

. . . . but funny as heck!!! :lol:

My Bad - the post was located in a different thread than where I wrongly remembered it being. Thanks Cave Diver for your assitance!

Mods are not required to PM a user when a post is deleted, however most Mods do it as a courtesy when dealing with individual users. In a case where there are multiple deletions being made, a Mod post in the thread is generally used instead. That is what happened in this case.

so has this changed in the past few years? (I'm not arguing it... just asking).

I remember reading the TOS a few years ago and it had something that said that if a users thread/post was deleted, the user was to be notified by the mod who deleted it as to what the reason was. Maybe if it wasn't listed in the TOS, then it was listed in the FAQ. Dunno.

but I can't seem to find it in either when checking it just now.

so how long ago was this changed? (or was it?) and why?

I even ran across this post by Pete saying deleted posts should be notified.

In Reply to post [post=2701805]#2701805[/post]
There are many reasons a thead or post gets pulled. Usually it's after it's been reported, and the Mod agrees with the report. If you were the originator of the thread, you should have been notified and I would appreciate a PM if this is not the case.

Or course I also found this disclaimer that if you're Onespeed, you won't get notified! :rofl3:

In Reply to your post [post=4260561]#4260561[/post]
Most deletions get notified, unless like Onespeed, it's apparent you are just trying to be "on top of your game". We won't feed trolls.

<snipped>
I even ran across this post by Pete saying deleted posts should be notified.

In Reply to post [post=2701805]#2701805[/post]
There are many reasons a thead or post gets pulled. Usually it's after it's been reported, and the Mod agrees with the report. If you were the originator of the thread, you should have been notified and I would appreciate a PM if this is not the case.

Or course I also found this disclaimer that if you're Onespeed, you won't get notified! :rofl3:

In Reply to your post [post=4260561]#4260561[/post]
Most deletions get notified, unless like Onespeed, it's apparent you are just trying to be "on top of your game". We won't feed trolls.

OMG, I'm being treated like ONESPEED?!?!?!!? :shocked:

:crying:What did I do so wrong?!?!?!?! :crying:

Found it. the The Modiquette, which is a set of rules for Moderators.

The Modiquette

* Have fun! Start threads, reply in threads, plan dives and the like. Lead by your example! You are useless to us and yourself if you are not having fun! If you find that you are not having fun, take a break! We all do this: just tell one of the Advisors or the whole team when you do!

* Enable fun! We are here for our users and to be sure that they get what they are looking for. We should be stepping in whenever we see others trying to interfere with that fun! This includes thread hijacking, mean spirited or snarky replies and those with agendas to impugn and demean!

* Maintain the integrity of our forums! Our Dive Related forums need to remain on-topic with a minimum of off-topic posts in them. This is where you are needed most! You should be more diligent (pro-active) in the Dive Related Forums, and less so in the Non Dive Related forums where we should rely more on reported posts to guide us. Whenever you do moderate a post or a thread, be sure to PM the involved parties as well as the staff via a post in the back room.

* Maintain your personal integrity! As a Moderator it is your most important asset and it is yours to lose. Protect it by being careful about what you say and how you say it in every post! Have fun, but not at the expense of being friendly and courteous. Diplomacy, patience and thoughtfulness should color every one of your posts and decisions as moderators. Remember to do whatever is best for the community as a whole and not just what is expedient. Don&#8217;t abuse your privileges! Don&#8217;t participate in a thread where you are moderating and vice versa! Don&#8217;t reveal confidential information about users or any staff. Be careful of any possible conflicts of interest or the appearances of such.

* Maintain our team spirit! Be nice to each other no matter how we differ in our opinions! We all want the very same thing: a great forum! This includes keeping discussions in the back rooms in the highest confidence. Decisions will be made public, but not the differing opinions! IOW, whatever is said in the back room stays in the back room! If you see a problem or don&#8217;t like the way things are going, please tell us in the back room or use PMs! For all intents and purposes, you are ScubaBoard and people are more comfortable if we all support each other!

* Relax! While this is an important job to do, it should never make you lose sight of your mission. Yes, we have rules and they are important. But never let the rules replace your discretion or humanity. Every decision and discussion in the back room is tempered with friendliness and professionalism and done for the good of the entire community. Realize that less moderation is usually best. In that vein, we keep an eye on reported posts to determine if a ToS violation has occurred. Fortunately, in the case of a Moderator's error, most of our decisions can be easily reversed. In any event, there is no mistake made that has not been made before.

* Saying goodbye! If you resign or are removed as a Moderator, you still agree to respect the rules as would any other member and to hold all confidential information acquired during your time as a Moderator private. By taking the role of a Moderator, you have agreed specifically to the above clauses along with all other rules and regulations listed within the Terms of Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom