Where is the line...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so has this changed in the past few years? (I'm not arguing it... just asking).

I remember reading the TOS a few years ago and it had something that said that if a users thread/post was deleted, the user was to be notified by the mod who deleted it as to what the reason was. Maybe if it wasn't listed in the TOS, then it was listed in the FAQ. Dunno.

but I can't seem to find it in either when checking it just now.

so how long ago was this changed? (or was it?) and why?

I even ran across this post by Pete saying deleted posts should be notified.

In Reply to post [post=2701805]#2701805[/post]

Or course I also found this disclaimer that if you're Onespeed, you won't get notified! :rofl3:

In Reply to your post [post=4260561]#4260561[/post]

It is normally considered a best practice" to notify a user when they've had a post deleted.

This notification may happen via PM in the case of a few users or via a Mod Post in the thread in the case of numerous users. For the most part, I think this happens pretty consistently by all staff members.

In a few rare cases, some users have been told that they will no longer be given notification due to the sheer volumes of their posts that have had to be deleted.

It is normally considered a best practice" to notify a user when they've had a post deleted.

This notification may happen via PM in the case of a few users or via a Mod Post in the thread in the case of numerous users. For the most part, I think this happens pretty consistently by all staff members.

In a few rare cases, some users have been told that they will no longer be given notification due to the sheer volumes of their posts that have had to be deleted.

hmmm.... I just refreshed before quoting to see if any other posts were on this thread and I think you edited your initial response and took out some information.

To answer your original reply (before you edited it) of you don't recall ever seeing that rule before and asking Pete, etc..., see my above post (before yours).

Found it. the The Modiquette, which is a set of rules for Moderators.
I stand corrected it is written somewhere. :D

As I said, for individual moderations, the user is typically notified. There have been instances where it doesnt happen, but that is the exception not the norm. Large moderation efforts are unlikely to produce individual PM's, and a Mod Post will be used instead.

hmmm.... I just refreshed before quoting to see if any other posts were on this thread and I think you edited your initial response and took out some information.

Ditto. :idk:

To answer your original reply of you don't recall ever seeing that rule before and asking Pete, etc..., see my above post (before yours).

Yes I did change the response. I was thinking that the posting on that was part of a backroom discussion that I was about to search. After I replied I saw that you found it in the Modiquette, so I amended it and made the post above.

I stand corrected it is written somewhere. :D

:humble:

As I said, for individual moderations, the user is typically notified. There have been instances where it doesnt happen, but that is the exception not the norm. Large moderation efforts are unlikely to produce individual PM's, and a Mod Post will be used instead.

True. I think that makes sense though. (to most folks).

Perhaps the Mod's should have to re-read the Modiquette on a semi-annual basis to remind themselves of the rules and intent.

BTW, your quote of Pete says that the originator of a thread should be notified if it's pulled and that most deletions get notified.

In this case there was notification. There was a Mod Post left in the thread and the issue that SC_Hoaty brought up turned out to be incorrect. The post he thought was deleted was actually in a different thread.
I even ran across this post by Pete saying deleted posts should be notified.

In Reply to post [post=2701805]#2701805[/post]
There are many reasons a thead or post gets pulled. Usually it's after it's been reported, and the Mod agrees with the report. If you were the originator of the thread, you should have been notified and I would appreciate a PM if this is not the case.

Or course I also found this disclaimer that if you're Onespeed, you won't get notified! :rofl3:

In Reply to your post [post=4260561]#4260561[/post]
Most deletions get notified, unless like Onespeed, it's apparent you are just trying to be "on top of your game". We won't feed trolls.

Last edited:
All this over a picture of a few lobsters!!!:confused::shakehead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom