Where to Go? What do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I want to dive off the island. I have sailed the inside straight, now its time to dive. I am a new diver, only done the mexico vacation. Done a TON of snorkling. All warm water stuff.

I want to do a trip, possibly a live aboard this summer. Looking for recomendations here.

The equipment I have is:

Oceanic Delta 4 reg, fdx10 (I am assuming this should be good enough for the colder water)
Oceanic Excursion BCD
3mm full and shorty (couple of each)
Atom 2.0 DC
Fins, mask, snorkle

So what else do I need? I am suspecting someone will say drysuit, and I assume there is training when using one?

Is there any other training I should look into? (I know to always keep learning, but specifically for the colder water)

The type of diving I enjoy most is what I call silent watching. I can find an interesting spot and wait. Then while waiting quietly, all sorts of things start to creep out of the coral or swim up, both big and small. I like seeing the sealife. I have been checked out by a school of dolphins while snorkling, which has been a highlight for me. While at the same time, watching a ray fluff itself into the sand was pretty cool too. Is the diving pretty much "guided" like the mexican stuff, or will the DM's follow your lead too?

I would prefer smaller groups, I am trying to convince my daughter to come, but she is not sure about the whole cold water thing, so I might be doing this solo. Is there much of an opportunity to pick up another solo buddy on a trip like this? A small boat with 4 - 6 divers would seem like a good size?

Any suggestions, comments or reading is appreciated.

Drysuit for sure.

Training? Ask the store that you buy it.

Also, there are some of us that dive locally, so you can learn here and be ready for your trip.

Saturday nights at the Kinsman, they allow divers. So you can play with a drysuit there too.

Hi SS,

If you plan to take up coldwater diving you may indeed want to look into a Drysuit; in the long run that is what many of us wind up using but some do use wetsuits. Here is a thread in this subforum talking about drysuit/wetsuits http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/western-canada/324585-thickness-wet-suit.html.

Along with the cold, many dives wind up being dark(ish) so a good light will also be an asset. Again, if it is just a one off deal I would try to borrow a light or at least have a good small one for checking out crevices etc... Regular divers out here have either can lights (nice) or C/D8's, UK light cannons or something along those lines.

When you get closer to the date post back into this subforum and there will probably be people who will hook up with you for some dives. We have a pretty good community here. There are some charter operators like Cooldives who post here as well who could probably assist in hooking you up for something more formally organized.

Good luck,
Dale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom