Where to put octo BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like an uninformed conspiracy.
Sounds like you are an opinionated person who thinks the way you've decided to set up your gear is the only correct way... and then is condescendingly dismissive to others with different ideas. Have a nice life - I'll not waste any more time with a person like you.

With my Halcyons, it routes under my right arm and attaches to my right chest D-ring with a rubber snorkel holder to the base of the mouthpiece (right behind the ziptie). Can be released with a quick tug and it has never come loose on a dive so far. Simple to set up pre-dive and works well for me!
Ditto.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree with your judgemental dismissal of non-tech octo configurations... as do the vast majority of recreational divers out there. Since getting certified almost 6 years ago, I could likely count on 2 hands the # of times I've seen divers with a long hose and necklaced octo. I'm not saying it's a bad system, but I see no need for it in the type of diving that I do (no cave or confined spaces).
Most divers have never heard of Scubaboard. Most divers only know what they learned in their Open Water class using gear sold by their LDS. Unless they have tried to share air using a long hose, they have no understanding of how much better it is than the standard setup. Sharing air with a long hose allows both divers to swim side by side or in a single file easily without having to be in each other's faces or hold onto each other. The long hose is much more streamlined against your body. There are no hoses sticking out such as the ones in your avatar that can snag or be pulled by current or another diver. The necklassed backup allows you to quickly get air after donating your primary. It also means your backup hasn't come loose from a holder and either dragged along the sand of drifted somewhere behind you when you need it most.

The first pic below is of me when I first got the Infinity before it was stripped of most of the padding, cinch, etc. You can just see the octo holder hanging from the d-ring. I had no issues with it in that position at all.

If you're being pinched under the arm, the straps are probably too tight and your d-rings are in the way. I had that briefly as well.

The d-rings need to go wherever they work for you. If you're standing with your arms up and drop your thumbs to your harness, that's a ballpark for where your d-rings should go. When you're diving, you can see if that spot works by checking if it's easy for you to reach and manipulate.

Having said that, I switched to a long hose with a second on a necklace nearly 7 years ago and never looked back.

View attachment 608408
Same Infinity, stripped down to the Eclipse with a long hose:

View attachment 608411
Thank you for your help.

I got my primary kicked out of my mouth when a buddy turned around to get away from me.

At the time I didn’t have the reflex to follow the hose to find it (I didn’t realise at the time that I can just grab the hose in front of my and follow it)

But then after the initial shock, I remembered that I could just use my necklaced secondary.

I really like to have a permanent bungee necklace on one regulator because it means that it cannot get caught anywhere and get detached: it is always around your neck if you need it.

Since then I am much more careful of people coming towards you and doing a 180 turn to avoid you (or circling around you): sometimes they don’t realise than when doing this, their are finning next to your face.

I went to a long hose primary (5'/7') with a bungeed octo within my first 10 dives after certification. I'm glad I did. It is streamlined, works incredibly well with a BP/W, prepares you for tech in the event you decide to go that route and works much better in an OOA situation than an octo on a 40" hose. I also found first hand that an out of gas diver will go for the reg in your mouth and won't patiently wait for you to deploy your octo.

Since getting certified almost 6 years ago, I could likely count on 2 hands the # of times I've seen divers with a long hose and necklaced octo.

All that means is that it isn't taught in OW courses by the majority of the training agencies. It means absolutely nothing regarding the benefits and utility of that "standard" configuration over a long-hose primary/short-hose bungeed octo configuration. Is a "standard" hose configuration with an octo on a 40" yellow hose unsafe for non-overhead environments? Certainly not. Is it the optimal configuration for that environment? Many of us would argue that it is not. Regardless of tech or non-tech a long-hose primary/bungeed octo configuration has MANY benefits over the standard configuration taught by most training agencies.

I also found first hand that an out of gas diver will go for the reg in your mouth and won't patiently wait for you to deploy your octo.

This x 1000.

Back
Top Bottom