• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Where Would Go To Do A "rescue" Diver Course

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba' started by rick00001967, May 18, 2016.

1. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    this looks amazing.

2. ScubaJill

ScubaJill Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I've been wondering the same thing. If I were to do the rescue diver course near where I live, I would be training in either a lake or a quarry with max depths about 50-60'. But all of my diving experience is in the ocean, and most of the diving I plan to do will be in the ocean and most likely boat dives. I know the knowledge will transfer from one environment to the next, but I keep holding off on signing up for the course here and instead I'm looking to travel to complete the course.

3. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    rick00001967 and rhwestfall like this.
  4. dberry

dberry Hydrophilic ScubaBoard Supporter

@lowviz you've piqued my interest in Jim's class. Where was his class held? I guess you stayed in a motel in western PA near the site? I'm in Philadelphia (not that far from Northern Delaware), so it's not exactly a short commute to Canonsburg.

5. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

We did that class in a quarry north of me. I am now using a local lake closer to me. Conditions are similar with less than stellar vis, lots of vegetation, easy to difficult exit points depending on the scenario, and the shop whose pool I use is 5 minutes away. There are a lot of hotels nearby (within 10 miles) ranging from moderate - think motel 6 or Red Roof, to luxury -Sheraton/Hilton type.
    I have some interest in a class later this summer and can always get plenty of "victims". I did one last summer for two divers and they were both wiped out by the end of it. They even got to cut me out of my harness. I made a special one just so they could use their shears and Trilobite.
    The rescue class is the lowest price class I offer next to Nitrox. Not because it's lower value but because I never want price to be a consideration when deciding to take a Rescue class. If someone wanted it bad enough and truly could not even afford what I charge all at once I'd let them make payments just so they could get the knowledge and skills.
    I believe it's the most important after OW and feel strongly enough that I am willing to take a hit on the money, compared to my other classes (AOW is 425 plus), if it means I get another rescue qualified diver created.
    The safety of divers in the water is that important to me.

rhwestfall, rick00001967 and lowviz like this.
  6. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

7. Oldbear

Oldbear Teaching Neutral Diving

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I took my Rescue course at the Atlantis Resort in Dubai while I was on vacation. All that I can say is wow...what a resort and training facility. But the training itself, while meeting standards, left me feeling like I completed a course not mastering rescue skills. It was rushed in my opinion.

I would look for an instructor that "teaches" the course not a facility conducting the course because it fills a shop's calendar.

8. lerpy

lerpy Contributor

Where in Canada are you? I am in Kingston, Dive Tech is a good shop, TDI and can provide instruction. The St Lawrence is a good spot to dive as well, and there are some great training areas.

pickens_46929 likes this.
  9. pickens_46929

pickens_46929 Contributor

St Lawrence is good.

Crystal River Florida is also good - fresh water, decent temps and a good shop - American Pro Diving.

Sean's at American Pro is a great instructor.

10. geoff w

geoff w Divemaster

I've probably assisted with more rescue classes than the number of dive classes I've taken. I suggest you take the class where you will do most of your diving, or in similar conditions, so you get the best taining and feel for realistic conditions and scenarios you'll encounter in your diving. Then find the best instructor you can for the area.

The rescue class is like drinking from a fire hose. If you can master and retain 20% of what is covered in the class you're doing good. A year later if you really remember anything and can perform you're exceptional. Unlike most skills taught in dive classes, hopefully you'll never need or practice what you learn in the rescue class. The best thing to do is after your rescue class to keep coming back and helping by playing victim for future rescue classes. You will be amazed at how much more you learn that way than you actually did in the class, and it will keep you relatively current on the knowledge from the class