Wheres everyone diving this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1 once bubbled...
I'm looking forward to it.
Maybe some others will join in. But count on me going.
I don't care about the price.
So you know I've got the right equiptment to do cavern.
HID lights and so on. I'm certified and all the good stuff.
We will set a time during the week when I know my schedule better.
Fred

Count me in. I need to do some more line practice before Intro class in february. Ive got all the gear except a HID. If you want to hit Peacock, LR, or anything else too, I'm good. If either of you want to take intro as well, let me know. I'm trying to find some buddies to take it.

The 3-day Cavern/Intro course...

The instructor/agency has to let me do it in doubles though. I'm not buying "H" or "Y" valves just for this class. Not a prayer in hell on that one.

Diving in Beautiful, exotic Lake Denton in Avon Park on both Saturday and Sunday (ain't I lucky!?!?). Fair warning though, one day I'm gonna shoot that turtle with a powerhead!

Grins

Lee (Hoya 97)

Genesis once bubbled...
The 3-day Cavern/Intro course...

The instructor/agency has to let me do it in doubles though. I'm not buying "H" or "Y" valves just for this class. Not a prayer in hell on that one.

Depends on the instructor, but they will let you do doubles for intro, You may have to do cavern on single tank though (no H). Also, if you do doubles in intro, the card expires after 1 year unless you take apprentice, and then full.

Depends on the instructor, but they will let you do doubles for intro, You may have to do cavern on single tank though (no H). Also, if you do doubles in intro, the card expires after 1 year unless you take apprentice, and then full.

I see no valid reason for that kind of thing.

First, in ANY overhead environment I want redundancy. Which means that I want either doubles or a nice pony. If I can bring the pony in cavern, why not the light doubles?

Ditto for intro. And why would the cert expire? What if I see no reason to take apprentice/full? I'm not saying I won't, but I don't know if I will or not - but I can justify doing the three-day cavern/intro class now.

Sounds like B.S. to me in terms of gear config - I dive doubles in OW now, so why not let me use them for this class? I'd bring the light ones (72s) rather than the heavier ones, as I see no reason to have more gas than that....

But since it has been hi-jacked already. You can do cavern and intro in doubles if your instructor allows that, but you have to dive (I think) 1/3 doubles for cavern and 1/6 doubles for intro.

Wendy once bubbled...
But since it has been hi-jacked already. You can do cavern and intro in doubles if your instructor allows that, but you have to dive (I think) 1/3 doubles for cavern and 1/6 doubles for intro.
I don't agree with diving singles to 1/3rd for intro...I don't think singles have any place in intro or cavern.....and I believe it might be 1/6th for both intro and cavern on doubles, but I'm not sure....either way, I think doing cavern or intro in singles is downright irresponsible.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I don't agree with diving singles to 1/3rd for intro...I don't think singles have any place in intro or cavern.....and I believe it might be 1/6th for both intro and cavern on doubles, but I'm not sure....either way, I think doing cavern or intro in singles is downright irresponsible.

And yet, its been done for many many years. Reality always wins, ya know. The thought in intro is that if you use a single you discourage divers from going too far back in a cave. Keep in mind in intro you have a h valve, so redundant 1sts, and tank o rings are extremely rare. Even then your buddy has 1/3 of a tank rserved for you. On the other hand if you use doubles you can go way back, be it on 3rds or 6ths. So they want to make sure you get fully trained as they know you will push the limits.

First dive in cavern we did the 1/6th so no one panicted .(namely me) we made it short and sweet. Second dive we did 1/3rds so we could do skills. From third dive on we did all 1/3rds. When we did the fisrt Intro dive I had singles and the instuctor and one other student had doubles. I did 1/3rd and they used 1/6th to match mine.(by the way we all had singles in cavern). This seemed to work well. Go thing too, cause on the first intro dive in Ginnie I had some problems. We had a delayed entry into the ear(divers exiting) and I was so nervous I nevwer checked my SPG when we entered. BY the time I got over the lips it dawned on me to check and low and behold 700 psi left. I figured a good time to do an OOA drill and exit. I was happy the other student had doubles. But it's a lesson I won't ever forget. We did the second dive and had no problems. Since then I've done several intro / cavern dives and no problems. First dive is always the hardest.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom