Wheres everyone diving this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thought in intro is that if you use a single you discourage divers from going too far back in a cave. Keep in mind in intro you have a h valve, so redundant 1sts, and tank o rings are extremely rare. Even then your buddy has 1/3 of a tank rserved for you. On the other hand if you use doubles you can go way back, be it on 3rds or 6ths. So they want to make sure you get fully trained as they know you will push the limits.

Yeah, and how do they police this once you have the card? They don't and can't.

So what's the point, exactly? If you HAVE doubles, why not USE doubles?

Sounds like perhaps I won't be doing the class any time soon.... I ain't gonna buy valves just for this reason - I already own doubles, and I sure as heck ain't diving a single with a regular valve in an overhead.

The idea is that they don't want you to be tempted. I don't know if you have ever stuck your head in a hole in the ground but it's a rush and if you get over confident you die. My instructor says it this way"don't worry they will send someone in to get the equiptment" If you are still in it they'll bring you back too.
why do you use doubles now? are they Independant doubles or with a Din manifold with isolator valve?
Fred

why do you use doubles now?

Several reasons:

1. Redundancy (TRUE redundancy), I often solo in open water or am effectively solo even if not in name. Many of these dives are beyond 100'. Some of them are spearfishing, some just having fun, some shooting video or still photography.
2. I do deco dives at times and losing backgas due to a failure with a virtual overhead could be, depending on my obligation, bad news. Bending the bejeezus out of myself is not top on my list of things I'd like to experience.
3. It is a lot less hassle if diving two or three NDL dives on my own boat to only have to gear up once; I can get two or three NDL dives in water as deep as 130-140' on one set of doubles.
4. If I persue formal Trimix training I will have to know how to dive in them; there is no real downside to doing so if I don't "need" them for a given dive, other than their weight out of the water.

are they Independant doubles or with a Din manifold with isolator valve?

All my sets are DIN manifolds with an isolator.

Yes, I can do (and do from time to time as practice for a REAL emergency) the standard valve drills.

Now given this, can you come up with a reason why I shouldn't dive manifolded doubles for a Cavern and Intro class? I can't, and I sure as hell won't be using an "H" or "Y" valve once the class is over!

Now the problem is finding a instuctor to go along with you.
I know of one down here but it's a long way from you.
I can't wear doubles because of back problems and if I go full cave I have to go to sidemount from the get go. you had to hear what all the others said about that.
How about you talk to the instructor tell him you'll be glad to show him your compitant with doubles before you even start the training. Let him or her see your not one of those dumbes.
Just an idea.
Fred

Genesis once bubbled...

Now given this, can you come up with a reason why I shouldn't dive manifolded doubles for a Cavern and Intro class? I can't, and I sure as hell won't be using an "H" or "Y" valve once the class is over!

Well, you may want to do GUE Cave 1 then instead. NSS is not as advanced a course. You can always rent a single tank just for the class, though if you are doing the 3 day class, I'm sure theyll let you use doubles for both parts. Just remember the expiration thing.

makes it a no-go for me.

I may decide I do not want to continue with the cave route. And if I do not, I absolutely do not want my existing credentials to expire.

I'll have to talk to the various instructors/agencies about this. There is no reason on God's green earth to have a cert expire based on the GEAR someone uses.

As for GUE, until and unless their politics change, I'm simply not interested in their training.

Why not just rent for class, then do doubles on your own? I have yet to see anyone check for a singles vs doubles card at any of the caves. Or, check with IANTD or NACD.

jviehe once bubbled...
Why not just rent for class, then do doubles on your own? I have yet to see anyone check for a singles vs doubles card at any of the caves. Or, check with IANTD or NACD.

We have a winner! This is exactly my solution. If you're getting certified near Gainesville, I know LLoyd Bailey's rented Y-valve yoke tanks 2 years ago, and I am fairly sure they had a few DIN H-valves as well. I can't imagine that they quit. I think many people moving on to cave rented for intro (Singles only, I believe, when I was certified) and bought the doubles setup for apprentice training. I am fairly sure the other shops in the area had Y and H setups as well.

So what was the original topic anyway? It's been so long since I read an "on topic" post I forgot! :laugh:

adder70 once bubbled...

We have a winner! This is exactly my solution. If you're getting certified near Gainesville, I know LLoyd Bailey's rented Y-valve yoke tanks 2 years ago, and I am fairly sure they had a few DIN H-valves as well. I can't imagine that they quit. I think many people moving on to cave rented for intro (Singles only, I believe, when I was certified) and bought the doubles setup for apprentice training. I am fairly sure the other shops in the area had Y and H setups as well.

So what was the original topic anyway? It's been so long since I read an "on topic" post I forgot! :laugh:

I beleive Ginnie Springs, where I do my cave training, rents H valve tanks as well.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom