Which Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajay

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm buying my first regulator, made up my mind with an Apeks. My question to all you divers is which one of the models should I purchase and why.

ATX 50
ATX 100
ATX 200

Thanks is advanced.

Functionally, there is no difference. The 2nd stages are all identical except for the chrome.
The 1st stages are different only in external appearance, and the 50 has a swivel (added failure point).
The ATX200 1st stage works a LITTLE better for doubles.

My choice was the ATX50 with a DS4 first stage (no swivel). I bought two of them and they are great! As previously mentioned, there is no big functional difference between them, only a big price difference. For my money, I feel that the 100 and 200 are overpriced and not worth it, go with the 50.

I was told that if I have to choose between the ATX 50 and TX50 that I should go with the ATX 50, because it causes less jaw fatigue.

I find that my TX50 exhaust T sits on my chin and causes little jaw fatigue.

For zero jaw fatigue the side exhaust regs are the best.

As mentioed by RichL, the 2nd stages are the same functionally. According to apeks, the difference between the ATX 50 and TX 50 is that atx is 25% smaller, so it causes less jaw fatigue. Like Dennisgrimm - personally, for the price and functionality I like the DS4/atx50 combo (I dont care for the swivling turret in the atx50 1st.)

Is there a big difference in having a 1st stage with a swiveling turret as opposed to 1st stage without the turret. Also I heard the 1st stage only comes in DIN style, is that true.

scubajay-

I use both a Cyklon 5000 and a Jetstream. I prefer them over the Apeks for breathing. But the biggest thing is jaw fatigue with my TMJ. The Apeks is more smooth but doesn't deliver the big gas flow. I started diving using the Jetsteam and I think thats what Im used to. I bought the TX50 and second from Diveinn in Spain when the dollar was very strong, making dive equipment from Spain very inexpensive. That is not the case today as the Euro has gained so much.

There is no downward torque with the side exhaust regs-I don't have any pain in my jaw with long dives. Some have complained that by droping 25% of the weight ,when Apeks made the new ATX ,is that they dropped the large exhaust Ts-lots of bubbles in your face with the smaller, newer design.

Again, for me, it's a big comfort deal to dive with side exhaust. And Poseidon has that HUGE mouthpiece which I like.

I bought the Apeks for my wife and she loves it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom