Which Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and here's what I have been able to determine from this board, Apeks web site and the LDS

1st Stage:
- Apeks does have units that are not enviromentally sealed, I believe all the "D" models are "Dry Sealed" (you can identify these units as they have a plastic cover on one end of the turret, the others have a visible allan key hole travelling into the turret)
- DST has the pivot turret, is slightly larger and has a 1/2" primary LP port that the DS4 does not (they state this is for more flow but my LDS says that for rec diving I would not see the benifit of this feature)
- 100's and 200's use the same internals as the DST & DS4 but have a different configuration for how the hoses route which also parleys into how the air flows to the LP ports (from my LDS)(these two units also have the 1/2" UNF ports. Again my LDS stated that for rec diving this flow difference would not be appartent to me)
- DS4 has 1 HP + 4 LP ports the other units have 2 HP + 4 LP ports
- 100's and 200's route hoses better for doubles (from this board)(since I do not dive doubles I do not know the reason why)
- DS4 is smaller than the DST by approx 1/2"
- When I tried the pivot turret it was very stiff and I felt a lot of force would be required for it to pivot while in use
- LDS stated that he had never seen or heard of a DST failure in the pivot turret

2nd Stage:
- ATX is approx 25% smaller than the TX equivilant. This looked to be mainly in the exhaust port size but I noticed the front diaphram plate (not sure if this is the correct term) was also slightly smaller
- ATX has slightly more bubble interference than a TX version. The TX exhaust port has an approx. 3/4" to 1 " wing coming out of the body of the regulator, where as the ATX has almost nothing
- TX40's, TX50's, TX100's all use the same basic internal parts (from LDS). 50's have the diver adjustable cracking resistance control added. 100's are lighter with improved ergonomics, a reduction in breathing resistance, and a re- designed heat exchanger, offering improved performance
- ATX vs TX. Smaller, lighter, lower profile, improved gas flow, finer adjustment (Apeks site). ATX also have an additional "Micro Adjustment" which requires a special key and is suppose to allow for a fine custom adjustment to each unit.
- Venturi feature allows for the adjustment of the amount of air available while breathing and the cracking adjustment regulates the amount of inhaulation effort required to open the valve (from LDS). Venturi feature can also be used to reduce the chance of "free flow"
- TX are cheaper than ATX

I finally ended up buying a DS4/TX100 and my Brother-In-Law bought a ATX200 w/ ATX40 Octo, he seems to have more disposible income than me since he is single :( . I have not used this set-up yet as I am still looking for an SPG & Octo and my BIL will be trying his this weekend. I hope this is helpful in determining what you will select.

Ian

IBKuz once bubbled...
100's are lighter with improved ergonomics, a reduction in breathing resistance, and a re- designed heat exchanger, offering improved performance
Whoever told you this is FOS. The 50 and 100 are identical except the 100 uses a satin finish and the 50 uses polished chrome finish on the adjuster knob, air tube, and heat exchanger.

Redesigned heat exchanger? The only possible difference (and this would span all three models) is that at some point, they went from a separate nut/heatsink to a threaded heatsink. ZERO difference in "performance" as in beathing effort or flow, and I suspect little difference in effectiveness as a heat exchanger.

Improved ergonomics? No clue what they mean by that. The plastic parts and mouthpiece are the same, right down to the part numbers, except for the cover.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Whoever told you this is FOS. The 50 and 100 are identical except the 100 uses a satin finish and the 50 uses polished chrome finish on the adjuster knob, air tube, and heat exchanger.

Redesigned heat exchanger? The only possible difference (and this would span all three models) is that at some point, they went from a separate nut/heatsink to a threaded heatsink. ZERO difference in "performance" as in beathing effort or flow, and I suspect little difference in effectiveness as a heat exchanger.

Improved ergonomics? No clue what they mean by that. The plastic parts and mouthpiece are the same, right down to the part numbers, except for the cover.

This info is on Apeks site

http://www.apeks.co.uk/apekshome.htm

Under "Products/Regulators/TX100". I presented this info only as information that I have found, hoping that other people such as yourself would fill in some of the validity of such.

Ian

buff once bubbled...
Check out what www.divernet said about the differenct Apeks models. Here:

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0302regtest2.htm

and Here:

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1202regtest2.htm

But hey, they didn't like the Cyklon so what do they know!!?

The comments by the "green diver" are hilarious:

"Some people like a bit of rough, and this reg certainly won't disappoint them."

"The purge was a bit titchy, but then size isn't everything."

"A nice smooth suck - a Gucci among regs."

"If you like something powerful and thrusting between your teeth, this is the regulator for you."

"A pleasure to put in my mouth - I'd happily go down on this any day!"

GoBlue! once bubbled...
I was totally ready to splurge for the ATX200 & now this thread has me thinking, "Why not just get the DS4/ATX50/ATX40??" To those who have experienced both the ATX200 & DS4/ATX50, are they really that close in performance?

Jim:confused:

I have both an ATX200 and an ATX50 (DST). I dive the ATX200 and my wife dives the ATX50. I can't tell any difference between them in how they breathe. When I bought them, there was $100 difference in price and I liked the look of the ATX200, so I bought it.

Not to get off topic but where is the best place to find a ATX50 OCTO Liesure pro is out and dive inn doesn't handle that one....... Lubold 8431 How about you?
Rob

IBKuz once bubbled...
Under "Products/Regulators/TX100". I presented this info only as information that I have found, hoping that other people such as yourself would fill in some of the validity of such.
Okay... found it.
I stand by my statement. It's marketing BS. IF the 100 is lighter, it may be because the cover is thinner... I haven't actually weighed it, but it's possible that it might be a gram or two lighter. Nothing you can feel in the water.

The redesigned heat exchanger, like I said, may be the "new" design (which is used on all regs now AFAIK), which replaces the nut-spacer with a threaded spacer... improved? There may be better heat transfer.

Under lab conditions, I can't honestly say that the claims are untrue.
Under water? You won't notice.

I have to ask. The turret is often listed as a potential failure point, but how many people have actually experienced problems with this feature? I'm curious, as I currently own a DST and am trying to decide between more of the same and DS4's or flat heads. UP, do yours honestly leak? Of those who experience problems, is it wear and heavy use related or more random? Has anyone experienced a critical failure, more than a tiny stream of bubbles? Thanks in advance, for helping me understand if this is more of a theoretical concern or real world issue.

fweber -- although my diving experience is much more
limited than others on this board, I own a DST
and have not had any problems (knock on wood) thus
far..

Back
Top Bottom