Which backplate manufacturer to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I gave up on the conventional bent plate for use with singles. I simply do not like the high position they all set the tank at. I have several issues with this positioning and I just don't like it and I have now used EVERY commonly available plate. For doubles I am very pleased with my two Hammerhead plates, they work well with a variety of wings and they are cost effective and well made. For singles diving I use the rare and nearly impossible to get Freedom Plate and the new Oxy ultra light travel plate. The Freedom Plate and Oxy ultra light plate set the tank low and close to my back and work amazingly well with my two Oxy Cheq Mach V wings. The Oxy Mach V is fine combination of extremely rugged, lightweight, clever and quality design with some of the heaviest duty materials on the market. You don't have to baby an Oxy Signature series wing. The Mach V Signature also just seems to trim out nicely whether by accident or clever design, it simply rocks.

As to a singles plate, the conventional bent plates are all a compromise, the Freedom Plate is nearly impossible to get. I have built now three custom plates for myself as experiments, I don't show pictures because they are a different design for single tank/wing diving and are modular in concept, they are not what most people would appreciate because they don't look like the typical square, bent, sheet of metal and I am NOT satisfied with them yet. When I am satisfied with them, if ever, I might make a run of them and all profits and proceeds will be given to animal shelters etc., if---if---I decide to make them which right now is down the road as I already have several full time pursuits.

My point as to plates, for doubles there are a lot of excellent choices, for singles there are not. The wings available largely are all excellent, the new compact streamined wings such as the Mach V series as an example are super to dive with. It is my opinion and it is not liekly to change.

N

I'm not a picky diver about this sort of thing. Used Halcyon and DSS as well as several plates here that I think are made locally for larger tech companies like OX^ Che&, D1ve R1te, S&1v0 and such but have no proof. I really cannot tell you there is a better then the other one plate. Little adjustment here and there and all is well. A good diver can rapidly overcome the minor issues with an imperfect plate.

For what it is worth I use Halcyon...

Last edited:
You obviously don't understand the passion behind the man. His focus is creating the best gear possible. That's what drives him, and his products reflect that drive. I fell in love with his system WAY before he became an advertiser, so you needn't impugn me in a similar fashion. The fit and finish of his product are the best I have ever seen.

Who cares what you agree with. Your focus is selling product.

Who cares what you agree with. Your focus is selling product.

Ironically enough, you're saying this about the guy who is known to refuse selling gear to someone who doesn't want the right setup for the right application.

I used and voted Halcyon is the right choosed

Everyone has given some awesome input. I have really started liking Halcyon but the cost of them has kept me away. I have also looked at HOG, the question I have is, does HOG offer a harness, and backplate?

I know some don’t care about mix matching but I guess that is me being me.

When I use a BP/W (vs my soft harness and wing), I dive a Dive Rite. However, I've always been impressed with Deep Sea Supply's BP's since I thought they did it right the very first time and Tobin and his crew always seem to be innovating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom