Which BC for less than $300??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy, I think we are in agreement, maybe just a little miss-communication on some of the specifics.

Happy with their gear and it doesn't affect their diving. Meaning it doesn't negatively affect their trim, or ability to easily get into any position. Nothing to do with the diver being new or experienced.

My 1st BCD was a back inflate. The BCD itself was flawed in it's design and has since gone through many mfr. revisions. The location of the integrated pockets put the weight on my stomach, not my hips. That combined with the shape of the wing always put me in the horizontal head down position. Both at the surface and UW. Shooting video, I need the ability to easily get into and maintain any position. That BCD did not allow a non horizontal position.

I've dove with several jacket BCD's. Never liked having any bulk in front of me. Dove with a Transpac for 10 years. Loved how it dove and it's versatility. I now dive with a BP/W. Even more versatile than my Transpac.

Like you say, a skilled diver properly weighted can dive with anything. Ton's of skilled happy divers using each of the 3 options.

We are close. I still maintain most new divers are oblivious, heck even a lot of experienced divers are. Very few people drop a grand or two on new gear and than admit it's not working for them. Just human nature.

Shoot a video of a diver, review it with them and I bet odds are they will make some significant changes to their setup to trim out better. Maybe a small change in weights or a new BCD. Observation from a exterior perspective is very illuminating, sometimes humiliating (been there, got the t-shirt).

Yep, totally agree. People new to any sport/hobby generally have no clue.

I am 100% guilty of spending a lot of money buying brand new gear before my checkout dives.

This thread is filled with good suggestions. Maybe too much information for someone new.

I can absolutely tell you that the Islander is lighter and easier to pack then even the Transpac BP/W.

Lisa

The transpac is not really a BP/W, it's a fairly substantial soft harness that was designed specifically for carrying tanks on land over long distances for not-very-accessible shore diving.

A lightweight rigid plate (AL or plastic) with a hogarthian harness and minimal wing is often lighter and more compact than almost any jacket BC, but again, dive gear should be evaluated on how it performs in the water, not how it fits in luggage.

I routinely carry an AL backplate, 2 wings (double and single) 3 regulator sets (one for single tanks and my doubles set) 3 lights, a wetsuit (sometimes 2), fins, 2 masks, computer, reels, an SMB, and my clothes/toiletries for over a week in one duffle bag and it has never gone over the international weight limit of 50 lbs. Partially that's because the duffle itself only weighs a couple of pounds. It's interesting how many divers will spend lots of extra money on 'travel' gear to try to save on baggage fees, while carrying it in a suitcase that weighs 10-15 lbs.

Don't blame divers. Blame the instructors and dive shops providing all the answers.

Well. I opted to go for a reg first.....Bought an Atomic Z3. The fiance has a B2, but I couldn't justify more dollars for just a swivel 1st stage. Should arrive in a week or so!! I want to thank every one of you for all the help in looking at BCs. I looked into some DSS BP/W combos and might look closer at them once I get a better idea what type of diving I will do.....which is pretty much just goign to be warm tropical waters.

let me try this, is a BP/W recommended for beginners? I am about to do my check-out dives Sept 27/28/29 and would like to have my own BC for this....

We put all our open water students in BP/W - never had anyone have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom