Which BP/W Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddha3145

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at two different BP/W setups. I only dive singles, mostly in moderately warm to warm water (70 degrees+) with no wetsuit or 3mm shorty. Occasionally, I will dive in about 60 degree water with 6mm full suit, but not often. Rarely in fact. I'm also a big guy, not tall, but wide.

The two rigs I'm looking at are: a complete singles rig from DSS with a large SS BP and Torus 26lb wing for $470 or a package from Scubatoys with a DR SS BP and an Oxy Mach V 30lb wing for about $400. Hog harness with both.

I know there is a huge following for DSS and also for the Oxy Mach V wing. Both rigs are similar, so I'd like to hear from people who have first hand experience with any of this gear. I'd really like to know if there are any substantial differences between the BP's since there is a big price difference between a DSS and Dive Right.

I'm not going to chime in on the plate. I have a DR SS plate. I've seen a Hollis SS plate and I liked the finish better. I've never seen a DSS plate, but they seem to have a lot of different sizes for different folks.

The OxyCheq wings, IMO, are top of the line. They use a nice heavy courdura shell. A nice heavy bladder. When I need a new wing, I'll likely get an OxyCheq.

I'd also consider a STA...single tank stabilizer.

If you're going to be diving AL tanks, look at the SS plate. IF you're going to be diving AA tanks look at an AL plate.

You're diving warm with not a lot of exposure protection. Just don't get yourself too negative and no ditchable weight.

"Substantial differences . . ."

Empirical data upon the differences among wings is difficult. I suppose one could get into durometer readings among the differing bladder materials and thread counts in the coverings, but at the end of the day's dive, from what I've experienced, there's not a ha-pennce difference among any of them.

Stainless steel of the same grade and thickness varies not. Finishing touches on the back plates can be an issue . . . sharp edges, burrs and things like that.

But in my honest opinion, it's not worth the argument.

Buy that which pleases you and you will be pleased with it.

the K

Then again, DSS plate have some nice features not found on other plates, such as the bolt-on weight plates and ease of adjustment of the harness without the need for keepers.

Are any of the BP/W made in the USA???

And the fact that DSS set ups DO NOT require STA's.

My DR does not either. It has slots for the cam band. However the bolts that are used to hold the wing to the plate make it virtually impossible to line the tank up perfectly on the plate. We're talking about an 1/8 of an inch. Never the less I would contemplate the STA.

I feel the STA keeps the tank from moving around.

Are any of the BP/W made in the USA???

I'm pretty sure most actually are.

Now where the SS comes from, that may be another issue.

I'm pretty sure most actually are.

Now where the SS comes from, that may be another issue.

I might be wrong but DSS and Halcyon are made in the USA. Don't really know about the others.

Back
Top Bottom