Which computer to stay away from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nukeboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to get my first dive computer (I have a couple of models in mind) and I know a lot of people ask which computers are better than others, or which one they should get for a first computer. My question is which one do you think I should stay away from and why? (i.e. screen difficult to see, numbers too small, short battery life, etc....). I am looking in the under $400 price range.

I am looking to get my first dive computer (I have a couple of models in mind) and I know a lot of people ask which computers are better than others, or which one they should get for a first computer. My question is which one do you think I should stay away from and why? (i.e. screen difficult to see, numbers too small, short battery life, etc....). I am looking in the under $400 price range.

Stay away from console computers...all of them..

Try this:
Scuba Diving Computer
Cressi Eddy
can be a nitrox computer if you desire..and easy to use this way...Can also be a watch and depth guage if you become a tech diver with disdain for computers some day :) and can be worn at work as a nice watch.
If you decide freediving is a good thing for you, it is a very cool tool to enhance freedive skills with.

As a wrist mounted computer, it does not dangle on a big console and catch on the bottom ...or drag behind you on the floor of the diveboat as you walk toward the platform to jump off.. :)

I have one...I use it either in FRreedive mode or guage mode. I did try it a few times in Nitrox mode, but I don't typically use it that way.

Regards,
DanV

Last edited:
I am looking to get my first dive computer .......My question is which one do you think I should stay away from and why? .....
Check out the Dive Computer Research Tool and read the user's reviews.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

[QUOTEStay away from console computers...all of them..][/QUOTE]

That's nothing but an emotional response with no data to support it.

I've dove with both. Dove a console for years. Recently decided to try a wrist mount. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and no clear winner.

The console is always connected to your reg. Very unlikely you're going to forget it that way.

The wrist computer is somewhat easier to see in a quick glance. Then again, as I've approached 500 logged dives I just don't need to look nearly as often which has somewhat diminished this advantage.

I can't really say I prefer one over the other. I could easily switch back to a console and be just as happy.

-Charles

[QUOTEStay away from console computers...all of them..]

I've dove with both. Dove a console for years. Recently decided to try a wrist mount. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and no clear winner.

The console is always connected to your reg. Very unlikely you're going to forget it that way.

The wrist computer is somewhat easier to see in a quick glance. Then again, as I've approached 500 logged dives I just don't need to look nearly as often which has somewhat diminished this advantage.

I can't really say I prefer one over the other. I could easily switch back to a console and be just as happy.

-Charles[/QUOTE]

Great post :thumbs_up:

As there are a lot of different computers out there. Firstly you need to make a list of what features you need and want in the future as your diving progresses.
Whether a watch type or console. Pros and cons for both! Or maybe moving to the new mask type? If you can stretch your money that far.
I for one would buy the mask computer as soon as it comes out with a built in compass as well :cool3:

No one else is going to be able to tell you if the numbers are too small for you to read. Personally I would stay away from RGBM model computers since they just seem to give screwy bottom times. Going with one of the less conservative computers means you have to take responsibility to add conservatism to your dive when it is appropriate to do so. Educated divers should be able to do that, but then not everyone dives often enough or wants to make the effort to be educated. Having a computer that gives screwy answers is less of an issue if you and all your buddies dive the same computer. A user replaceable battery is definitely a plus. As a simple down load capability. It is really annoying to find out that the simple cable to download your dive computer is $150 because it is proprietary.

The wrist computer is somewhat easier to see in a quick glance.

Here's some data: One of these two "advantages" occurs while you are actually underwater.

I ended up getting the Uwatec Aladin 2G, now I need to get in the water and try it out!

Why not dive both ... I dive my Cobra consul with it's big fat screen display so I can see the data in low vis. and my D 9 (Suunto) integrated wrist watch computer as a primary for ease in good vis. ..redundancy is always a smart strategy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom