Which fins for me? Help me narrow it down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay away from split fins Only fins to buy are

Scubapro jet fins
oms slipstreems
xs scuba turtles
xs scuba power fin

Anything else is a was of thime

lowridersvt:

Scubapro jet fins
oms slipstreems
xs scuba turtles
xs scuba power fin

That's why so many people on this forum use splits....:shakehead

If you have strong legs and like paddle fins you cannot go wrong with the ScubaPro Jet Fins. I just got mine last week and in 25 years of diving they are the best fins I have owned and they really move you through the water...very fast fins!

Tried split fins before and did not care for them. IMHO.

I find it easier to answer the OP's question... It all depends on your diving and personal preference. If you plan in diving in controlled conditions; ie on vacation with a dive master in not very stressful conditions, split fins would work fine. They have tendency to be more "comfortable" with less stress on your legs. These "benefits" are paid through a loss of power and the inability to perform kicks other than the flutter kick.

Stiff blade fins provide much more power for use in high surge and current conditions. These fins will give your legs a workout. I suggest if you purchase blade fins (such as SP Jet Fins) and only use them for vacations, be sure that you keep in good health and take lots of walks or exercise to condition your legs before your trip.

Olivia Chillia:
I'm still very new to diving and have not seriously begun to shop for fins. Right now I feel that there are too many basic things to work on to think about buying fins right away.

What would you advise the new diver to consider when selecting a fin?
Anything I should avoid as a novice?
Anything I should definitely try?

What do fin springs do?

Is there anything about fins you wish someone had told you (before you found out yourself, probably the hard way)?

Well by now you should have a good idea of what fins are perfered over most other fins on here. The Scubapro Jets NOT the TWIN JETS, just the plain old and cheaper JETS. They work great, move you thru the water, enable you to do other kicks, and progress into tech diving if you ever want to go that route.

Mine are 24 years old, and still kicking strong. i did add the springs straps, as i don't want to have a strap brake when i need it most.

lowridersvt:

Scubapro jet fins
oms slipstreems
xs scuba turtles
xs scuba power fin

If it hurts it works?

fishb0y:
I find it easier to answer the OP's question... It all depends on your diving and personal preference. If you plan in diving in controlled conditions; ie on vacation with a dive master in not very stressful conditions, split fins would work fine. They have tendency to be more "comfortable" with less stress on your legs. These "benefits" are paid through a loss of power and the inability to perform kicks other than the flutter kick.

Stiff blade fins provide much more power for use in high surge and current conditions. These fins will give your legs a workout. I suggest if you purchase blade fins (such as SP Jet Fins) and only use them for vacations, be sure that you keep in good health and take lots of walks or exercise to condition your legs before your trip.

While they may not be AS good in current(I see lots of conflicting opinions here) in the tests I have seen they do have a higher top speed. I also don't think they are bad for small maneuvers like turning and stuff. Those only require a little bit of force in the first place.

Don't count out full foot tins. A couple of friends a pro U/W photographers and they use full foot fins exclusively in warm water. Cold water? Booties for sure. Depends where you dive.

Sdiver2489:
While they may not be AS good in current(I see lots of conflicting opinions here) in the tests I have seen they do have a higher top speed. I also don't think they are bad for small maneuvers like turning and stuff. Those only require a little bit of force in the first place.
Try a backward kick in a pair of split fins... Trust me, I have used everything from split fins to 50 year old UDT fins made of gum rubber. How can you make any power out of a pair of fins if there is a cut down the center?

Back
Top Bottom