Which fins for me? Help me narrow it down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olivia Chillia:

What do fin springs do?

Is there anything about fins you wish someone had told you (before you found out yourself, probably the hard way)?

Fin springs replace the heel strap on open heel fins. Some fin straps are very difficult to adjust while wearing so many people with that type of fin use springs.

No fin, no matter how good or how great the technology is going to instantly turn you into SuperDiver.

Everyone has their own opinion on what works best for them, but divers are different and we don't all dive the same style or conditions.

I dive warm waters while on vacation and shoot video a lot of the time.

For shore dives or when I have my camcorder on the dive, I use jet fins. I like the stiff blade because it helps me make small position adjustments while filming.

For boat dives when I don't have my camcorder I use cheap flexible full foot fins. I like not having to wear or carry wet stinky boots. The soft blades are easy on the legs.

Which is faster ? I don't know, don't really care, I don't race. If I had to guess, the jet fins would be faster for very short distances and the flexible fins for longer distances, but then again, I'm not in a race. I like to take my time on a dive.

fishb0y:
How can you make any power out of a pair of fins if there is a cut down the center?

It's called fluid dynamics. We use it to design better airplanes, pumps and turbines. Why should fins be exempt ?

If it is possible in your case, I would suggest to try as many different types of fins as you can before deciding on one particular pair. Fin preference can be pretty subjective.

I personally bought and tried many different ones before finding the love of my life..........SP Jets. And the spring straps makes the Jets more sweet!!!!!

Anyway, spring straps makes getting into and out of the fin pretty easy. There are spring straps out there that can be used with non-Jet style fins as well.

I recently purchased a set of Apollo Bio's and love them. Like everyone suggests try several different types, 1st decide if you want to go blade or split. Once you make that decision there will only be a few models of each that stand out.

As for spring straps, I can't believe how easy this could be. Definately spring for the springs.

bradshsi:
It's called fluid dynamics. We use it to design better airplanes, pumps and turbines. Why should fins be exempt ?
Because of the speeds and distance of the stroke involved.

fishb0y:
Because of the speeds and distance of the stroke involved.

Sorry, but your explanation doesn't hold any water :wink: (no pun intended). Fluid dynamics are valid regardless of speed. This article discusses why a fin with a hole in the middle (which in itself is a highly simplistic view of an interesting piece of engineering), can be (and is) more efficient than a solid fin.

Here's some other studies which confirm the same:

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/205/17/2665
http://www.ms-se.com/pt/re/msse/abstract.00005768-199605000-00006.htm;jsessionid=GvKCLm9GznvkM7bvnrGXPdt0L09kQ2yvpB1lpy5yF7T0bbWFGpfv!869285401!-949856145!8091!-1

My feet are fairly bouyant and the 1st pair of fins I owned were floating fins I used for float tube fly fishing. When doing a safety stop, the moment I stopped moving I'd turn upside which I really didn't find comfortable:confused:

Other than that, everyone has their own preferences

I am probably the oddity whose favourite fins are the atomic aquatics and mares quattro. both have their qualities. the splits are much better when you are a little out of shape as they require much less muscle effort. This is very useful facing prolonged swims against current and not being in the fittest of health. The quattros on the other hand have much better take off and (for me anyway) easier to backfin.

otherwise both are greatfins and would work well in most diving conditions.

Back
Top Bottom