Which gear is the same as which other gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure where the bodies are made.

On the Apeks front, you can't get service kits officially from them either, and because they're made in the UK, their chrome plating is vastly inferior to the PVD used by companies like Deep 6.
So Deep 6 powder coats instead of chrome plates their air barrels?

Wow they are expensive. Where are they made?

compared to what?
Less than $450 for a 1st, 2nd, and hose.
Apeks XTX50 with DST is $600...

Full sidemount package is less than $1200. Equivalent from Apeks is $1600, so doesn't seem that expensive.

They are made in Taiwan, but the Expedition series is far from a standard stencil.

So, is that because the "better" plating method is banned in the UK for environmental or health reasons?

Chrome plating is a nasty process which can put some truly awful stuff into the environment (hexavalent chromium, strong acids/bases etc.) and I would hate to think how the process is done in countries with virtually no regulation.

compared to what?
Less than $450 for a 1st, 2nd, and hose.
Apeks XTX50 with DST is $600...

Full sidemount package is less than $1200. Equivalent from Apeks is $1600, so doesn't seem that expensive.

They are made in Taiwan, but the Expedition series is far from a standard stencil.
Sorry I meant to say inexpensive. I may just have to try one. Read their history on their website pretty cool. Do you know which one has the Teflon coated barrel?

So Deep 6 powder coats instead of chrome plates their air barrels?

PVD coating is a thin film vapor deposition process that is done in a vacuum and is a fairly clean environmentally friendly process. Tradition plating is not as consistent or environmentally friendly as big vats of nasty chemicals are used. Powder coating is totally different process that I doubt they would use on the internal surfaces of a regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom