Which PADI AOW specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck was useless.

Wreck should be done as a separate course with a qualified (I don't mean certified to teach) instructor.

S&R is really a great class, hence I don't like doing it for AOW, but a separate class. I've been thinking about for the 5th dive I require DSMB (others PPB, nav, night, deep). I'm ordering the instructor guide as I want to see if it would be a good fit. While I teach my students to deploy a DSMB from depth in OW, I think more stringent performance requirements (I have yet to see the performance requirements) may make that useful adventure dive, as a student should be able to do a slow ascent, keeping the line tight. That is an important skill to have in my opinion.

wetb4, Not everyone has more than one shop to choose from within 100 miles.
True, but then they may wish to seek their training while on vacation somewhere. I didn't say it would be ideal. There are tradeoffs.

I'd suggest Peak Performance. I did Fish ID & I really enjoyed it. (I think it is highly dependent upon who your instructor is.) However, the Buoyancy class will make you a much better diver & I think is probably one of the better classes you can take.

That all depends on the instructor. AOW is minimum 5 adventure dives, but is not required to be 5 dives. If a student cannot meet the performance requirements in a single dive, then an additional dive is warranted.
Peak performance buoyancy as part of AOW is OK to do - it will introduce you to some of the concepts, but pales in comparison to the stand alone certification.

Peak performance buoyancy as part of AOW is OK to do - it will introduce you to some of the concepts, but pales in comparison to the stand alone certification.
Agree, but I believe PPB varies a lot according to how good the instructor. I enjoyed my class and had a good instructor, though I recall my buoyancy was pretty good beforehand. We did some neat stuff with finning and other "tricks"--some of which got water in my ears, so enough of that.

If they'll let you, Rescue.

I'm not a PADI instructor, but I believe Rescue is not considered a specialty. I believe that instead, it's considered a separate requirement along with 5 specialties & 50 dives to get you certified as a Master Diver. But I completely agree that Rescue is a really helpful class!

That depends on the instructor's interpretation of the performance requirements. If they are high enough (think a prep for GUE fundies later), the other dives are quickly diminishing returns. If an instructor does a good job with ow and the ppb adventure dive, then the full course isn't necessary. But my students sometimes become dive buddies, so they get informal tips.

Last I checked, PADI Rescue wasn't an adventure dive that could be taken as one of the PADI AOW dives. Are you perhaps thinking about Search and Recovery?

The wreck dive on on my AOW was worthwhile - we spent most of it pointing out the dangers on the wreck to avoid. The emphasis was on not going inside without further training and avoiding possible entanglements on the outside. The other dives we did were deep, navigation, PPB and night.

Back
Top Bottom