Which PADI specialties are useful and which ones are "underwater basket weaving"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, for MSD to be a worthwhile rating it should have a dive theory and dive skill assessment in addition to any speciality stuff.
Until that point its worthless, its just paying money for a card with no extra training!

It's useful in that it provides some divers with a positive motivational goal.

I do share your opinion that it could be so much more - especially in regard to defining a high standard of diving achievement that is measured through practical and theoretical scuba knowledge. The lack of any assessment, or any specific learning/development related to the qualification itself (rather than constituent courses) is a major missed opportunity.

I personally think that more divers would be motivated to attain an MSD rating, if it did truly represent a hard-to-attain and well tested skill level.

What needs to be remembered is that the MSD is not a certification level, but a rating.

It does not qualify anyone to do anything that a person with the same specialties but isn't MSD can't do.

I personally think that more divers would be motivated to attain an MSD rating, if it did truly represent a hard-to-attain and well tested skill level.

I agree with this. I have no desire/motivation for the PADI MSD rating, although I am most of the way there with Rescue and 3 specs already under my belt and I do wish/plan to complete other specialities for various reasons, but I'm not sure I'll bother getting an MSD card once I am eligible, there doesn't seem any point.

I would be very very interested in the NAUI MSD course, however it seems to be geographically limited.

If you vacation to Asia/Pacific, the MSD card is currently free upon application.

Anything free is cool. Seriously cool.

Free. Free. Free.

:D:eyebrow:

Anything free from PADI is even more cool. It's cool because it costs them money...and not you.

Strike a blow for the little man! Viva La Revolution!

To me, for MSD to be a worthwhile rating it should have a dive theory and dive skill assessment in addition to any speciality stuff.
Until that point its worthless, its just paying money for a card with no extra training!

Yes, interesting point. Especially since PADI changed the DM course to reflect less on theory (physics, etc.) and more on the practical. A La NAUI, where the theory is in MDS and I believe MSD is required (?) to start NAUI DM.

Most points regarding both Specialities and MSD seem to have been made. There is one other consideration to take into account when selecting specialities - insurance (boring, I know). My life, medical and dive insurance is either ceded or seriously restricted should an accident occur while I am diving outside of my qualifications. Doing the deep dive speciality may or may not be particularly fascinating for any individual, but now that I have completed that speciality should something go wrong at 40m I will be covered, beforehand, even with AOW deep adventure under my belt, this simply would not be the case..

Woah is that true across the board for dive insurance? Can someone verify?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom