Which Regulator(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,
I am also new to diving, and I am planning to get my Regulator and soon. So far I am interested in the Aqualung products mainly the LX Supreme, and the main criteria I guess would be Air + Nitrox. Aqualung is not really a nessecity... any brand would do I guess... can anyone help ?

Hi All,
I am also new to diving, and I am planning to get my Regulator and soon. So far I am interested in the Aqualung products mainly the LX Supreme, and the main criteria I guess would be Air + Nitrox. Aqualung is not really a nessecity... any brand would do I guess... can anyone help ?

Hi, get yourself a reg that you will not have to do anything to at all:shocked2: One stop shopping, cold water, warm water Zeagle makes great regs. For all enviroments.

Divers are fiercely brand loyal when it comes to regulators. I am still using a Sherwood Brut my Dad gave me when I first learned to dive, 29 years ago. (It actually breathes much better than a newer Sherwood Brut that I purchased a couple of years back.)

Bruts are not ideal for deep use, but I'd have no hesitation recommended Sherwoods generally.

I own Legend LX's and Apex XTX200's. They both perform well at deeper depths and cold water. They cost more like the scubapro's, but with proper care I assume my will last me a lifetime.
Aqualung and Apex are owned by the same company.

There are a number of excellent regulators on the market. To say one is a better choice than another is difficult. Although I've tried many different ones, I've preferred Posidon and for the past 10 years have used Apeks (owned by Aqualung). I have used both of these regulators on Air, Trimix and Heliox without incident.

As far as the Apeks is concerned, I've yet to experience a freeflow and I dive in 30-36 water temperature regularly (Canadian North Atlantic). That speaks volumes to me about the reliability of this particular regulator.

I suppose that your choice is often influenced by what brands your local dive shop has in stock, which ones they service and your budget. Most top-line regs will perform well and continue to do so if they are maintained properly and serviced yearly. After using a particular brand over several years, one begins to have an allegence to that brand. Good luck with whatever regulator you choose!

Divers are fiercely brand loyal when it comes to regulators. I am still using a Sherwood Brut my Dad gave me when I first learned to dive, 29 years ago. (It actually breathes much better than a newer Sherwood Brut that I purchased a couple of years back.)

That's an interesting observation. I used Sherwoods for a number of years. At one point I owned six, and still have one which my g/f refuses to part with. It seemed to me that the older round second stages breathed better than the newer oval ones, and I tuned them to the edge.

As far as the Apeks is concerned, I've yet to experience a freeflow and I dive in 30-36 water temperature regularly (Canadian North Atlantic). That speaks volumes to me about the reliability of this particular regulator.

I had an XTX200 start to free flow getting into 50 degree water a couple of months ago. Nothing would stop it and I had to shut down the valve. Once I defrosted everything, the problem did not come back. I took it in to the LDS, but they didn't find anything wrong with it. It's the only problem I have ever had with them.

That's interesting Carrie, I've never experienced a freeze-up in water that warm (at least with any of the newer regulators). I've had a 1st stage malfunction in a Poseidon and another freeze-up, where like you I had to shut-off the valve. Nothing with Apeks so far. Perhaps it's the luck of the Irish. :)

That's interesting Carrie, I've never experienced a freeze-up in water that warm (at least with any of the newer regulators). I've had a 1st stage malfunction in a Poseidon and another freeze-up, where like you I had to shut-off the valve. Nothing with Apeks so far. Perhaps it's the luck of the Irish. :)

I was walking down the stairs into the water. The moment the 2nd stage touched the water it started free flowing and the 1st stage immediately iced up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom