Which Regulators are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi JackD342,
I misunderstood you. When I read "hit or miss", I thought you meant it's a maybe can find maybe not. Understood now.
Thanks.

Hi diversteve,
I am new to this game so my budget I set might not make sense at first. I have to slowly stepping up, as any other games/toys I have been in...also, I don't plan on going really deep or joining any competition. For right now, all I want is going local shore dive and let see.

After some first searches on several websites for second hand, I thought the budget can be up to $200 (before rebuild/service). Also, I looked into scuba.com on their clearance section. Without knowing about which and which, I saw they have new 1st and 2nd stage for a little over $100, and octopus for under $100. If I can find a used gauges, that is around this budget too. .. but after listening to friends/others, it's start spinning me around, too many choices but seem like none is easy, including this thread here, it sounds like I should not go that round.

A friend of mind also mention HOG is one of the good reg can be considered. If I can get this hog for $200 new, another low end octopus, and a used set of gauge, then I can be done for under $400 if I search well enough?
Thanks Steve.

then I can be done for under $400 if I search well enough?
Hog/Edge is a good brand with a following here. They're also user serviceable should you later want to do that.

Here's two $400ish options.

Buy the Edge Nano - add a $99 Mares MV Octo - which does mean your Edge dealer also should know Mares. One thing I like about the Mares is it's about the cheapest you'll find and it has a swivel so it''s bi-directional - the person you give it to will appreciate that as they don't have to use it upside down in an OOA situation.

Gauges are universal. LeisurePro has a Tusa set for $115 with free shipping. You can ask the shop or just carefully remove one of the port plugs and thread it in yourself - no lube needed.

So $415 plus local tax if you buy the reg locally - I personally would. Bring the octo and gauges with and they'll likely assemble and bench test it free.

Option 2 is all Cressi. Cressi is a venerable brand from Italy, not as popular here. They seem to be working on that though - Cressi Cressi professional scuba diving equipment Cressi Professional scuba diving equipment I'm often surprised at how reasonable they are. A member here swears by them as the best deal he's found.

LeisurePro sells the whole pkg. Ask LP what they can do for you on assembly - they have a service dept.LP is a dive superstore online - I buy from them often - in fact earlier this summer. All their gear has the full mfr's warranty contrary to what you'll read here in older posts when it didn't. No tax either afaik

Reg (your choice of 2)
XS Compact AC2 - $199 - - with a Red cover - Silver is $50 more.
Cressi XS Compact AC2 Regulator

Or if you can squeeze another $50 out -
Cressi Compact MC9 Regulator

Advantage is it's Balanced (Hyper-Balanced is just marketing) - and a $350 reg in Silver.
Octo
Cressi XS Octopus $75 on sale normally $80
Gauges
Cressi Mini-2 gauge console - $115
Cressi Mini Pressure
$ 390 or $445 right?

Nice thing about all Cressi is their dealer can service it all.

this was kind of fun...I've never tried to see how low I can go and still get decent gear.

there are also new tusa regs on ebay for under 200 that can be considered
This...

also a lot of old junk so post any possibilities here and someone will know about it.

Second choice for a little more $:
ScubaPro regulator G250 / MK10 and Oceanic gauges

View attachment 536399

In general, a MK10/G250 is one of the better performing classic regulator sets ever made. You would never need anything better. Any SP dealer can service this reg easily, although they tend to overcharge for parts, and you never really know how competent dealers' service techs are. It's hard to see in the blurry photo what generation of G250 this is. (it doesn't really matter) $200 is, IMO, a little high for a set that will need servicing, especially considering it appears as if there is no alternate 2nd stage; only a fitting for an AIR 2 octo/inflator that presumably does not come with the set. So you're looking at buying an additional 2nd stage as an octo.

But, properly serviced and tuned, this is quite a bit better than the sherwood or any of the new regulators that have been mentioned. I use MK10s in cave diving all the time. I have several.

Before rebuild cost factored in:
The mares is under $200
The Scubapro MK10 is under $200
The ScubaPro MK20 is under $300

I doubt that people would let me take the regs to the shop myself, and don't think they would drive the the shop before I pay either. So, there is a chance that you are buying junk, can't be rebuilt huh. I need to consider that too.

Thanks.
Hi @rnln ,

One of my hobbies is rebuilding older Scubapro regulators-usually MK10s/109s/and Balanced Adjustables. If you're interested in a setup with those first and second stages, I can probably put something together for you that you'll be happy with. I also have a few gauges, hoses, etc. You can PM me with your email address if you're interested.

Shameless plug over,

Couv

An option is a new Scribble first, 1 Signature second, SPG w/ hose, LP hose from Deep6 for $382. And you need an octo/secondary which is +150. Just as a complete, up to date, option that does not need $100 of service.

Balanced, sealed, but not a swivel turret (which would be the Signature).

Deep 6 Configurable Single Tank Package
I've no connection to them, beyond having two Signature 1sts and one Signature 2nd of theirs.

ETA:
The Signature Deep6's are on par with other top regulators.
Or a mk10/109/BA set from Couv. (also no relation). I've got a 109, BA, mk2, that work great. They are bullet proof.

DGX version of Deep6. Complete setup: $450.
- DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Streamlined OW Reg Package | Dive Gear Express®
- What are the differences between the Deep Six DGX and Deep Six Signature regulators? | Dive Gear Express®

Mk10/G250 is an awesome reg. You can rebuild it your self. $200 is high though.

If the 4 that I've bought, I haven't paid more than $135 for any of them.

Service kits are available and as long as the regs were taken care of they should be no problem for a DIY. You will need a couple tools to make things a bit easier but they're not too expensive.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for info and offering to help,
Now, I have too much info to read and to make decision. Some question also not related but for my knowledge, hope you don't mind.

The difference between Scubapro MK10 and MK20 is the MK20 is balance while MK10 is not. Am I right? Does it worth $100 more?

Is it true that any gauge set can used with any regulator? For example the old cheap gauges set (tank pressure and compass) like the one with the MK10 above, can it be used with a Atomic M1, Z2, or a $1k Scubapro?

1 thing I need to clarify, MK10 set $200, MK20 set $300 are minus $100 which I added for an octopus. Sorry for the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom