Which scubapro regulator is great but won't break the bank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's interesting. When I dealt with Casey at BeaverDivers he recommended a used Scubapro regulator that was $200 less than the one I DECIDED to buy.
Not only did he not "oversell" me, he was trying to get me in a good reg. at a much lower price. I"M THE ONE that decided I wanted an A700 second stage and I was willing to pay more for it.

A good alternative regulator would be the aqualung titan or the SP MK11/G250V. The titan is a perennial best buy. The MK11 is a fine, relatively simple first stage, and the G250V is a re-issued classic. Another bullet-proof classic is the MK2. For a long trip with (presumably) little access to service, this might be a good choice.

I realize you're loyal to your LDS because they taught you to dive, but that's no reason to limit yourself to the one brand of products they sell. They do that because of the favorable terms an exclusive sales agreement with scubapro, not because SP gear is any 'better' and there is ZERO advantage to outfitting yourself in one brand. I like SP regulators and know a lot about how they work and how they perform. But I would never buy a SP BC, I just don't like the designs. I would probably only buy a new SP regulator as a last resort; my favorites are the older ones, for lots of reasons.

Despite the earlier recommendations, I would avoid beaverdivers if you don't want to be over sold as you say. Since becoming a member of scubaboard, he has relentlessly posted the forum with sales pitches and is the poster child for an "eager-beaver" type salesman, typically with very little actual knowledge of the products demonstrated in his posts.

Buying used is a good idea for a new diver on a budget; you just need someone to help you evaluate gear, and this must be someone who's not trying to sell you anything. In particular, buying a used BC is relatively risk-free and can offer a HUGE savings. I would buy a very simple, streamlined, feature-less back-inflate BC. The best of these IMO are rigid backplate/wing systems. But, zeagle now makes one called the 'tech express' or something like that that's reasonably priced and has received good reviews from lots of users. It takes time to get enough dive experience to be able to accurately evaluate BC type, and there's a big difference between the different types while diving. So it might not be a bad idea to just rent them for a while or buy a used, cheap jacket. One of the most common mistakes new divers make is buying an expensive, bloated 'high end' jacket BC that looks great in the shop but actually dives like crap.

There's nothing wrong with waiting on gear purchase and renting for a while. Remember you'll have to carry all this gear around, and they do sell dive gear in South Africa, just don't buy a tank there and bring it back to the U.S.

Oh yeah, there's probably no reason for you to take the nitrox course right away; it won't do anything for your dive skills, and nitrox is very unlikely to increase your bottom time as a new diver unless you're diving many dives/day at fairly deep recreational profiles. It has NOT been demonstrated to increase safety margins in recreational diving, although many people make that claim and it certainly is possible that eventually there will be data that prove the assumption. But it's a class that's often pushed on new divers because it creates demand for another dive industry product, nitrox fills. I've been nitrox certified for several years and I only use it in specific situations; four or five dives/day to relatively deep depths. But for 2 dives/day, it really won't do much for you unless you're so good on air and so confident in your profiles that you can easily push air NDLs without lots of repetitive dives. Does that sound like a typical new diver?

Brand new to diving (won't even be certified until Sunday) but I would like to buy gear right away because we'll be leaving the US to relocate to South Africa for the next couple of years. Between now and then, we will be visiting Cancun, Hawaii, Australia and a couple of the Fijian Islands and plan to dive in all of them. I would be more comfortable with my own BC and regulator (as well as mask, fins, snorkel which I already have) and would like to buy them from the place who is teaching me to dive and all they sell are Scubapro products.

I am using an mk25/s600 to get certified but yikes! they are pricey! is there something a bit less expensive that's still nice and easy breathing in the scubapro product line?

oh and my next step is taking the PADI nitrox course so that might factor into which one would work for my situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be "over sold" because I'm a pushover with sales people so I would like to appear partially knowledgeable!

Thanks in advance!
Very happy for you that you are getting certified!!I just finished certifying a family to scuba dive and they bought gear from Casey at Beaver Divers. I can guarantee you that he will not over sell you on anything at all. In fact he may even want to sell you something that is less expensive because he feels it is a better option for you as he did with some gear bags for my students. Casey has 40yrs of diving experience so when he sells a person something just know that he truly believes in what he is selling. I myself have been diving for 22yrs and teaching for 6 and Beaver Divers is who I go to for gear purchases for my students because I know that he will give them the best deal he can possibly give!!

Thank you so much for all of the great feedback. I will take it all to heart when purchasing! A couple of things....I also like to "buy local" and the dive shop I am using is a small business guy with wife/kids and from what I can tell does a lot in and around the community. That means a lot to me. When you buy from a small business owner more of the $$ stays in the state as well. He is a SP Platinum dealer so I will ask about SubGear.

Also as far as Nitrox, the bigger reason I was doing it was because I will be doing a lot of diving by myself....well not by myself, but without my husband and I was told that the majority of divers nitrox and if I didn't, that might make it hard for me to find a dive buddy. Is there any truth to that? If not, then I will skip it.

Again, muchas gracias to all for the great feedback!

Consider a very clean late manufacture SP Mark 5 or a Mark 10, with an equally clean 109/156 second stage or a 250 Graphite. Have them serviced and updated by a good technician and you have a fantastic regulator for less than $200 total, as good as anything out there, and better than most, including some current Scubapro gear costing three times as much. Better looking too. Don't expect anyone who makes their living selling new equipment to agree, but they have an ax to grind, and I do not.

Thank you so much for all of the great feedback. I will take it all to heart when purchasing! A couple of things....I also like to "buy local" and the dive shop I am using is a small business guy with wife/kids and from what I can tell does a lot in and around the community. That means a lot to me. When you buy from a small business owner more of the $$ stays in the state as well. He is a SP Platinum dealer so I will ask about SubGear.

Also as far as Nitrox, the bigger reason I was doing it was because I will be doing a lot of diving by myself....well not by myself, but without my husband and I was told that the majority of divers nitrox and if I didn't, that might make it hard for me to find a dive buddy. Is there any truth to that? If not, then I will skip it.

Again, muchas gracias to all for the great feedback!
Good for you for buying local!!You will not go wrong with Subgear equipment!!I am running a small group to the Philippines in June and all of us will be diving nitrox except for one lady but she has decided to get certified to dive nitrox so she will be able to dive very similar profiles as us if she so chooses. Bt the way XP 10 Subgear is a very nice little computer which also does nitrox but most computers do nitrox anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom