White shark behavior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! Can anyone out there tell me why white sharks have never been sited at San Carlo beach (Breakwater in Monterey), when it seems like it would be a prime spot b/c of the sea lion population there? There have been incidents north and south of there with white sharks but not at Breakwater.

Thanks,
Trish

Not sure... maybe too many big fat juicy elephant seals at Ano Nuevo?

Too much boat traffic in that area would be my guess.

They also do not like kelp, and stick to reasonably deeper water since they mostly attack from below.

Hmmm....I don't know about juicy but the sea lion population at Breakwater is pretty fat! I had a big momma buzz me on a night dive there and I about had a heart attack, LOL.

Boat traffic sounds reasonable, though.

Thanks guys!

I've not known great whites to be overly bothered by boat traffic here off Catalina. The one that upended the woman kayaker two summers ago was in the middle of a group of boats.

Whites will travel at different depths depending on their activity. They are seen cruising at the surface, at depths of about 150 ft and at MUCH greater depths as well (recorded via satellite tags).

Back
Top Bottom