Who does not like their Hog regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG Soylent Green is people! Its peeeeeeeople!!!!!!

DRIS sells Hog parts to anyone no questions asked. I know, I got some kits from them.
I think dealers are supposed to check and make sure people buying parts have some sort of tech rating/cert (which I do), but I didn't need it.

I have a pile of Hogs. Happy with them. I have a lot of regs because I hate swapping hoses, etc for different situations, would always end up forgetting something or need a last minute on the boat tweak at the wrong moment. So I have dedicated backmount set, sidemount set, two singles sets, my deco regs stay attached to their respective tanks, stages too, plus spares. Not all of them are Hogs, but the Hog price point and end user parts option has made this all possible for me. No way I could have done it this way with the old school LDS elite brand high markup approach, jam it down your throat annual service BS (which in my case, crappy unsafe reg service to boot).

Aside from the financial aspects, here are my experiences with the Hogs (as usual, just my two cents):
- 1sts = Rock Solid
- Breathing adjustment knob does seem to get sticky in salt regardless of fresh soaking time post dive, I have started packing them with more lube, will see how that goes, not too big a deal overall.
- The standard button style 2nd covers hate sand, so I default to the soft covers (have had issues with deco tanks left in sandy caves with the buttons). However, if you scooter fast, especially into high current, you may like the button covers to prevent freeflow, but thats what D400s were made for :)
- I have had two uncomfortable experiences with the exhaust valve folding over, they do seem prone to that either by washing with too much pressure or a freaky giant stride gone sour.
- Air @ 170 breath fine, Tri at 200+ breath fine.
- The way the barrel turns and hence the lever when servicing (a product of my technique I'm told, but I try not to over tighten) is annoying, but I have had that issue on other brands too. This is really a non-issue.
- Yes, I too swap to comfo bites.

All regs have their nuances.
I will continue to beat up my Hogs, so far so good. Happy with the purchases.

Edit: After reading the initial post again, My apologies to the OP for writing both likes and dislikes.

Last edited:
Is that the cleaning media?

Yes, and its made from replaced Hog course-takers; you may want to think twice about signing up for the regulator service class.

Back
Top Bottom