Who dove Travis 6/7-8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second-hand report from Foo2 reports 5 ft. vis... sounds like you didn't miss much! :wink:

Vis reports? Got nephews graduation stuff happening this weekend, no diving for me :(
Dove Windy Point yesterday and today (6/7-6/8). Lake is about 10 ft lower over the last two weeks. Viz? What viz? Six feet would be optimistic.

And last weekend we were in Cozumel... But I love that mucky pea soup lake just the same.

Dove Windy Point yesterday and today (6/7-6/8). Lake is about 10 ft lower over the last two weeks. Viz? What viz? Six feet would be optimistic.

And last weekend we were in Cozumel... But I love that mucky pea soup lake just the same.

Welcome to the Swampers!

Had two dives w/ K-valve at Mansfield Dam today and I was pleasantly surprised by the pretty good vis below 60'.

1st dive was on the Jail House down to 160' (bottom). Vis was perhaps 15-20' from 70' - 130', kinda hard to tell for sure on the dam, b/c that was the only point of reference, but once we broke off the dam, I could see 15' both up and down on the rock walls around 90'. Temp at depth was 58f.

2nd dive was to 97' out in the Mansfield park, but the real vis window seemed to be b/w 60-80'. Shallows, only a few feet.

Basically, the colder water is still holding vis, but the shallows are warming up so fast that there is a lot of matter suspended in the water.

Last weekend at Windy Point, vis didn't open up till 60', but we were keeping it shallow, so I'm not sure if the same conditions existed deeper.

Really fun, pleasant vis, if you're willing to do the depth and cold :D

Thanks for the vis reports, the only time I managed to get wet this weekend was in the shower :(

Had two dives w/ K-valve at Mansfield Dam today and I was pleasantly surprised by the pretty good vis below 60'.

1st dive was on the Jail House down to 160' (bottom). Vis was perhaps 15-20' from 70' - 130', kinda hard to tell for sure on the dam, b/c that was the only point of reference. Temp at depth was 58f.

2nd dive was to 97' out in the Mansfield park, but the real vis window seemed to be b/w 60-80'. Shallows, only a few feet.

Basically, the colder water is still holding vis, but the shallows are warming up so fast that there is a lot of matter suspended in the water.

Last weekend at Windy Point, vis didn't open up till 60', but we were keeping it shallow, so I'm not sure if the same conditions existed deeper.

Really fun, pleasant vis, if you're willing to do the depth and cold :D

Should be just the thing for you and Grampa John :wink:

I guess I better plan on bringing all the neoprene out next weekend if I want to go chase visibility.

I was with zinc on Sunday at Mansfield for the 2nd dive and he hit the viz right on ... shallow sucked, deep opened up a bit

I was at Windy Point most of the past week with classes and viz was no bueno ... maybe 5ft at times ... every now and then you would hit a clear spot of 7ft and thought you were in the Caribbean ... ok, maybe i lied a bit on that one

temp shallow is great though ... did a few dives with just a hooded vest and was nice a toasty ... i still want some neoprene down deep though. did a dive yesterday at mansfield to 90' in a 5/3 hooded vest and my Waterproof 3mm and was a tad chilly ... not enough to hinder the dive though :wink:

I have read about some of you diving at Mansfield Dam. I have not heard of this place...could anyone give me some details?:D

As Foo said, vis was less than exciting...5' vis until you got to 60' and then it opened a whole new world of 12-15' vis. :wink: Down at the Pecan Grove I saw 15'+. The first thermo was at about 35'. Above the thermo it was about 80df. Below the first thermo it was about 74df. I didn't note where the next thermo was, but at 52' the computer said that it was 72df. And at 96' it was 64df. It was extremely windy at "Windy Point". Not so sure if it's that windy on a normal basis. There were white caps on the lake which helped slow down the boaters that don't know what a swimming area buoy looks like. The good thing is that the wind helped us not notice just how warm that 95df sun felt. All in all...a good weekend.

Back
Top Bottom