Who has NEVER had something stolen in Bonaire?

Have you ever had something stolen in Bonaire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've was there for a week at Buddy's. Did 5 days of boat dives. No problems with theft. Some of our apartment-mates even decided to not lock the apartment door before leaving for town.

Had all my valuables in the safe.

I've been to Bonaire twice, but I'm not going to vote on this one.

Technically, while we've had nothing stolen, there are extenuating circumstances.

For example, for our first trip, the couple that we were with were the ones that were hit Since that was not technically "us", does that count, or doesn't it?

For our second trip, we took quite extreme precautions to minimized opportunity. For eample, we didn't venture out for any shore diving. None. Nada. Nevertheless, we did come down to breakfast the one morning to find the rental jeep next to ours had been broken into:

flamingocar11-00.jpg

So even without counting things like the broken window glass seen consantly in shore dive site parking lots, we have seen irrefutable evidence of crime on 100% of our visits, even though we ourselves were never quite the direct victim.

So, have I ever had something stolen in Bonaire?

While there's been nothing material lost, I nevertheless do have to say yes: my sense of well-being, and opportunity to have a low stress relaxing vacation was what was taken.

-hh

This will be our third trip to Bonaire in 3 years. No one in any of our prior groups has been victimized, be we were told what everyone else is told when they leave their trucks to go diving. No valuables left in the truck and the truck unlocked. Quite often when people end up being theft victims, whether it is in their home town or on vacation, it is because they did not take precautions and use common sense. It is a shame that a criminal element has Bonaire this undeserved reputation for rampant crime. We have found the people there to be friendly and cordial. Just my 2 cents.

Just back from our second trip with zero problems.

Why do people refuse to leave the windows DOWN in their rental cars? Broken glass is a common site in Bonaire.

As for food, yeah, it comes and goes. Not only can getting good food be a problem in Bonaire but just finding an open place (especially in September! and for lunch) can be an issue. And, it's not cheap and I live in NYC. I had a 75 dollar meal at Patagonia where the fillet mignon tasted like charcoal bricks and the chocolate cake tasted like freezer burn. Horrible! That said, I had a 5 dollar lunch at Bistro De Paris that was delightful so there you have it. Of course we had to stop by the place three times before they were open when they said they would be. I also went to Bobi Jans twice. Great sweet BBQ sauce. Good value but certainly nothing amazing. We did really like the meal we had at La Guernica. Great service and atmosphere to go with lovely desert too!

Food on Bonaire is 50/50 at best with a few highlights. In general I find the service in Bonaire to be interesting. Not bad, just interesting. It ranges from the typical American attitude of "the customer is always right" (I disagree) to "perfectly adeqaute service without pretension" (what I like) to "the customer is probably going to piss me off." For example, I like Pasa Bon pizza but when the owner refused to put two small tables together for our group, we were a bit put off. We even offered nicely to do it for him and return them the way they were but we were met with a "separate your group or go" response. No big deal, we stayed, the food was great as always. We mentioned returning but the owner reminded us that he decided to only stay open three days that week so there you have it. September dining in bonaire, lol.

If you are a non-smoker then good luck. You will be smoking other people's habit during most of your meals.

All that said, one goes to Bonaire for the shore diving and it is the BEST! This post may sound like a complaint, it's not. Just some observations about the wide variety of customer service you may encounter in Bonaire. That said, it reminded us of home, lol. Last year I went to the grocery store in Queens and asked the meat guy if the hamburger looked "green" and he said, "it isn't green it just has some personality." I smiled. That is my typical response. Arguing or trying to be "right" gets you know where, lol.

Been there, had a great time, we wore costume jewerly, a joke among us for the trip to be safe and tip off the locals that we knew the score..
We used caution, left valuables at home, and had a good time.
Nothing stolen, execpt the my innocence at how hot a wild night can be!

Phewie!!!!!! Hubba Hubba!

Returned a week ago from my second trip; nothing stolen once again.

This week I was saddened to hear that a nice couple and several other guests I met at our small, quiet hotel had been burglarized while they slept. To make matters worse, the thieves also stole their rental vehicle.

As for food, I was disappointed to find some of my favourite restaurants closed in Sept, however I managed to find some good local places that had really good food and great prices, so I now have some new favourites.

just got back from my second trip, nothing stolen either time, but i've talked to people who have had it happen, and it seemd to be a case of leaving stuff laying around or leaving stuff in plain site in the vehicle. but theft seems to be an issue and the owner of the carib inn stressed the issue of not leaving stuff laying around unattended and always locking up at night.

There once. Didn't have anything taken but left windows down and car unlocked with nothing in the car. Still some in our group had things taken.... like a "save a dive" kit tucked under the seat. Peace

I've been to Bonaire FOUR times. Stayed at Habitat twice and Divi Flamingo twice. LOVED the island and the diving. I was very careful not to leave anything for theives to steal. Never really had an issue.

Looking forward to going back sometime real soon!

can you say kjeystone kjops?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom