Why an STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCDivenut

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Simple questions ( :zap1: )

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a single tank adapter?
Why do some wings require them and others do not?

Some wings require them simply because they don't have a built in STA. The built in STA is just two Delrin rods that hold the tank in one place against the backplate. Some people prefer it, some don't. For those who don't have a built in STA or prefer the alternative, you can get a standalone unit.

The 'stand-alones' have some advantages, in that you can add more weight to your rig this way (my STA is 5lbs, for example.) However, some people don't like it because of added complexity or feel it moves the tank farther off their back.

Hope that helps.

I'll just add to what Boogie said. I like my STA and prefer it over a wing without one. I feel it is more stable with the STA than without. Mine is only a couple of pounds (I think) but I'd have to put that weight somewhere if I didn't have it.

For the other side of the coin from DD, I like my wing without the STA. I admit that I haven't tried one with an STA, but my tank simply does not move when tightened down with the rods. I also have an 8 pound channel weight.

Also, it's easier to switch between singles and doubles and break down your equipment with an STA.

I prefer to use one.

Ben

jonnythan:
For the other side of the coin from DD, I like my wing without the STA. I admit that I haven't tried one with an STA, but my tank simply does not move when tightened down with the rods. I also have an 8 pound channel weight.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong wings... DiveRite, OMS, and OxyCheq online (I looked at Halcyon a month ago and I am going back on Sat to refresh my memory) but I do not remember seeing Delrin rods on either sets of wings. I was looking at the smaller wings since I am diving singles for now but I did look at a DR classic and I did not see any rods.

Looking at the catalogs i have I see..
DiveRite... no STAs at all
OMS... optional
Halcyon... needed for Eclipse but not for Pioneer

Geez, this "simple" system sure is confusing :)

Only the Pioneer (to my knowledge) has the stabilizing bars, I know the DRs do not.

Make sure you're looking at an appropriate wing, a DR Classis is strictly for doubles.

Dive Rite does have an STA, they call it a Singles Mounting Plate, it may not be in the paper catalog.

Ben

BTW.. love the instantaneous responses.. guess we should all work more huh

I believe the Pioneer wings are the only ones that have the built-in STA.

Dive Rite's Transpac requires no STA, but using one of their wings with a backplate does.

I have no idea about OMS wings, honestly.

I wouldn't mind an STA, but I don't think it's necessary at all.

Back
Top Bottom