Why an STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
Not true, the new SS plates from Dive Rite have slots and the new Venture wing is made to go STA or STA-less.
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/backplates.shtml

Pretty sure OMS is the same, but I can't remember from DEMA.

Ben

So if I understand correctly.. a STA facilitates a quick change from singles to doubles and in some cases may increase the stability (or feel of stability) of the rig.

However, it is not "necessary" unless the wing requires it.

Correct.

My advice is to buy the STA, then dive with it and without it (just unthread the cam bands from the STA and through the backplate) and if you end up not liking the STA you're out $20 (that's the difference between a fully rigged Dive Rite SMP and two Dive Rite cam straps).

Ben

I have a Koplin "light" STA... Highly recommended, but difficult to find. Oxycheq sells them, but they're often out of stock.

I like a STA on my rig (the Pioneer 27) even though my wing came equipped with the rods. Aside from adding 1.9 pounds (unless they're weighted, they're typically about 2lbs), I found that it brought the tank a bit further from my back... Which I liked. It gives my head a little more room so that I can keep my valves nice-n-high (so I can reach them) without becoming an instrument to bash my head against. :D

Some people don't like them for exactly the same reason... They want the tank to sit closer to their back.

The extra 2lbs was nice, too... "Heavy" STAs are also available if you want the additional weight. They're usually 6lbs, but that can vary.

I also liked the extra stability that the STA provided, as well as the additional ease at disassembling my rig. I didn't feel either was truly necessary, though, and would forgo the advantage if I didn't like the other features.

DCDivenut:
So if I understand correctly.. a STA facilitates a quick change from singles to doubles and in some cases may increase the stability (or feel of stability) of the rig.

However, it is not "necessary" unless the wing requires it.

The function of a single tank adapter is to allow a wing/backplate to be used with a...single tank. Some wings, including newer versions of Halcyon's Pioneer series (which are smaller wings mostly intended for single tank use) have the STA built in, many others rely on external ones.

To summarize what has already been said and add a few more thoughts, there are pro's and con's to internal/external STA's:
  • The internal STA's may not be as effective at locking the tank in place, especially with larger cylinders
  • The external STA's tend to create a gap between your tank and your plate, which may create a small roll problem with your trim and is something of an entanglement hazard.
  • The external STA's make it easier to switch between single tank and double tank diving - you don't have to unthread the single tank cam bands from the back plate, just unbolt the STA.
  • The external STA's weigh more. This can be a bad or a good thing, depending upon how bouyant you are and where your center of gravity is.
  • Some internal STA's don't "fit" well on some back plates. AFAIK, an external STA will work on any plate. A Pioneer wing with an internal STA can be a tough fit on a heavy FredT plate, due to the wider dimension of the exterior wall of the channel caused by the thicker steel.

I ended up with one of the new Pioneer wings with the internal STA and found that I had a problem with my bigger tanks rolling no matter what plate I used and smaller tanks wobbling if I used anything other than a Halcyon plate. I removed the rods that are the internal STA and haven't looked back. YRMV.

Hope this helps.

And welcome back, SeaJay.

scubafool:
And welcome back, SeaJay Ditto

Good stuff guys, thanks a bunch... I am going to dive the diverite and halcyon systems in the pool this weekend and see which one I like best.

Snowbear:
I'm drawing a blank on this? How is an STA an entanglement hazard?

The extra inch or two that the STA puts between the tank and the plate makes it just that much more likely that the tank will snag a piece of monofiliament or cable. It's not much of a problem, but many of the wrecks in my neighborhood are heavily fished so I'm a little sensitive to the problem.

reefraff:
The extra inch or two that the STA puts between the tank and the plate makes it just that much more likely that the tank will snag a piece of monofiliament or cable. It's not much of a problem, but many of the wrecks in my neighborhood are heavily fished so I'm a little sensitive to the problem.
Mine only adds 3/8", so I'm not gonna worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom