Why are PADI replacement cards so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey the LDS said that is what it cost him, he charges $25 to get a replacement card. "Sounds unlikely" sounds like code for he is lying. I don't know why he would lie about that. It would then cost HIM money to get ME a card cheaply. Really????

$21 for a PADI card ? Sounds unlikely.

An online card costs 25 Euro ( US $29,77 at this moment) in Europe, a paper version is 29 euro (US$ 34,54). I do not believe that in your parts it is that much cheaper. Looks like your LDS is losing money on replacements cards..
US $ 37 ( for a paper version ) sounds about right.

That is a good idea.
I can get a lost drivers license replaced from my state BMV for $24.50. PADI is a rip off.

Hey high school kid, you want to make me a replica of a PADI card?

Acctually $21 dollars for the PIC is not far off here in the states. The price varies depending on how you buy and what kind you get; paper or electronic. Instructors and LDS's can mark up the price for using their PICS to whatever they want. My shop also charges $25 for replacement cards. Of course PADI can charge whatever they want for their cards, it is after all a free market! One reason I have heard that PADI charges more for replacements is they want to encourge divers to go to their instructors or LDS as much as possible. If so this is a good practice in supporting their instructors. On the flip side of this argument is the LDS's that I know charge what PADI charges or MORE (one I know charges $50) as they want to get as much as possible or they don't want to deal with replacement cards, prefering that you do it yourself online.

Padi gets a PORTION of the $37 bucks. The dive shop gets something for it's time.

Nope 37$ is cost dive shop doesnt get anything out of that especially if your replacing online! And Im in the dive shop looking at the PADI price book as I type that!! Also PADI uses the money off there cards to run the Dive Check on there website. So if you dont have a card the LDS can look up your credits on there PADI account eliminating the need for a card any where that there is internet access! Am i saying it costs PADI 37 bucks to make that card??? no But I mjean 15 bucks to make/15 bucks to ship and 7 bucks off you really isnt that bad dude!

Nope 37$ is cost dive shop doesnt get anything out of that especially if your replacing online! And Im in the dive shop looking at the PADI price book as I type that!! Also PADI uses the money off there cards to run the Dive Check on there website. So if you dont have a card the LDS can look up your credits on there PADI account eliminating the need for a card any where that there is internet access! Am i saying it costs PADI 37 bucks to make that card??? no But I mjean 15 bucks to make/15 bucks to ship and 7 bucks off you really isnt that bad dude!

I am not sure how the break down goes but if it were as you say I love how people charge you 15 dollars to ship something then after you pay it they drop it in an envelope and ship it for .39

I have no comment ha ha but that's how ive always figured it was ha ha maybe they only charge you ten to process and ship. I just figure it goes through 3 people the guy that enters it the guy that makes it and the guy that ships it so if it takes each of them 15 mins to do there job that's 5 bucks a person then the cost of making the card?

The overhead argument just doesn't fly, IMO. If PADI's business was primarily replacing cards, then yes, there is considerable overhead expenses. But that is not their business. Replacing cards is an incidental aspect of their business which incurs very little overhead over their current expenses. They do not have to use different machines to make replacement cards, they do not need different facilities for replacement cards, etc. Aside from the minimal expense of the actual card printing and postage, it seems like pure profit with almost 0 overhead.

Think about how many cards they have to do a day! I don't know all I'm saying is the guys down there prolly don't make 6$ an hour lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom