Why are PADI replacement cards so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 years ago I while doing MSD there was an apparent problem with either mail delivery or PADI's processing procedure and I didn't receive 4 of the specialties cards. PADI sent me 4 replacements free. Then a couple of weeks later the other 4 came. Now THAT'S being a card collector. Guess PADI was out $148. Anybody want some cards?

I keep my Instructor card in my wallet (oopppss I think I left my wallet at home today) .... but, thinking about it, since I can't use it to buy anything, a better place for it would be in my iPhone ... with proper back-up on my PC / server / cloud.

Now, if that was the case ... I might be willing to pay $0.99 to replace this digital card (and don't tell me that processing an image of a card is more complicated that getting a song ....)
But, the question is ..... would a dive store consider valid my "iPhone card"?

Alternatively, I might keep my Instructor card in my wallet, but it would be far more useful if it would double up as a credit card too .... so I can use it to buy stuff .. and it gets replaced - for free - every few years :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I've used my virtual card. I have a picture of the card for just in case.

A note on certification fees:

If a diver wishes to replace it because they really regret the hairstyle they had back when they were certified in 1982, then you can pay for this also. C.

If I had a card that showed me with hair I would not replace it!

So I'm in the local LDS and I mention the price of the card. This LDS charges $25 for replacement cards. He said it costs him $21 for a PADI card. This kinda throws a kink in your argument about all the costs. sort of pisses me of also.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hello TNRonin,

Your point is well taken. $37 for a replacement C-Card that is ordered and paid for electronically is rediculous. The people who are defending PADI are rationalizers. Way too much Cool-Aid.

I went to St. Croix last fall. Unfortunately, my C-Cards were in my logbook that remained on my night stand-- I forgot to load it into my carry-on bag. Fortunately, Anchor Dive Center had an I-phone that could access the web. All was well as they verified my certs via the web.

I decided to purchase an extra card or two, just in case the St. Croix fiasco happened again. OMG...no way was I paying $37 for something that costs PADI $8. I understand that they need funding to stay viable and that replacement certs are a revenue generator. PADI would make more money if they reduced their price to $20. I would have bought one, maybe two. Instead, PADI got nothing but more of my vitriol.

I now keep my certs in two places in my travel gear. If I lose my main stash, I may not dive deep, and I may not dive with Nitrox, but I will still dive.

thanks,

markm

I am not too concerned as I will use my card until it falls apart but look at what they are charging for the E-Cards LOL.

On a serious note I do think that PADI is trying to say "Dont loose your cards and you wont be out the $37.00. We got more important things to do then keep sending out replacement cards" :D

I can get a lost drivers license replaced from my state BMV for $24.50. PADI is a rip off.

Hey high school kid, you want to make me a replica of a PADI card?

So I'm in the local LDS and I mention the price of the card. This LDS charges $25 for replacement cards. He said it costs him $21 for a PADI card. This kinda throws a kink in your argument about all the costs. sort of pisses me of also.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

$21 for a PADI card ? Sounds unlikely.

An online card costs 25 Euro ( US $29,77 at this moment) in Europe, a paper version is 29 euro (US$ 34,54). I do not believe that in your parts it is that much cheaper. Looks like your LDS is losing money on replacements cards..
US $ 37 ( for a paper version ) sounds about right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom