Why are PADI replacement cards so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't speak for the PADI cards as I've never had to replace one. However, I never carry my original Los Angeles County c-card from the 60s... only a laminated color scan of it. The original is safely stored in my desk drawer. I also have scans of my c-cards on my website in the event I am traveling and lose the copy. That way I can log on and show a dive operator the scanned images if they have Internet available.

Can't speak for the PADI cards as I've never had to replace one. However, I never carry my original Los Angeles County c-card from the 60s... only a laminated color scan of it. The original is safely stored in my desk drawer. I also have scans of my c-cards on my website in the event I am traveling and lose the copy. That way I can log on and show a dive operator the scanned images if they have Internet available.

That is a damn fine idea about storing the card online. I usually keep the pic on my phone, I can upload it to my google docs account as well.

. I've never been to a LDS, resort or charter that looked at my young face on my C-Card and my old face on the dock and refused me service.

Never refused service , but they look and ask where is my hair? :)

Hey Dr Bill,

Out of interest, what year is your LA Co card? I was certified in 1970 at age 15. I have my original card but never use it as I have a more contermporary card. My LA Co training far exceeded my later PADI OW training. Of course I had a single regulator without a 2nd, learned to buddy breath, had a J-valve, and, intitially, did not have a depth gauge. I still ocasionally dive my Scubapro MK5, 109 though I upgraded the 1st stage to more modern specs.

Good diving, Craig

I can't believe Padi would charge this much I was expecting about 20 - 25 but 47$ + tax is ridiculous.

I saw people getting angry at 37$ its gone UP!!

Hey Dr Bill,

Out of interest, what year is your LA Co card? I was certified in 1970 at age 15. I have my original card but never use it as I have a more contermporary card. My LA Co training far exceeded my later PADI OW training. Of course I had a single regulator without a 2nd, learned to buddy breath, had a J-valve, and, intitially, did not have a depth gauge. I still ocasionally dive my Scubapro MK5, 109 though I upgraded the 1st stage to more modern specs.

Good diving, Craig

I can't believe Padi would charge this much I was expecting about 20 - 25 but 47$ + tax is ridiculous.

I saw people getting angry at 37$ its gone UP!!

I guess they want you to Put Another Dollar In!

it is ridiculous, should not be more then $15 to cover shipping and what not

a company i worked at charged you $10 for replacement access card

A replacement piece of plastic is one of the last things you can't get anywhere else. Better training? No problem, you can get that almost anywhere. But official PADI verification of you having passed their training? Their only monopoly and they'll price it accordingly.

Me, I'd say that forging a replacement would be just as ethical and probably cheaper, assuming you've actually completed the course for which you'd be creating the card. Or just don't buy anything from that particular business model ever again. Or both :)

Boy, I'm glad that an instructor made a mistake one time and I wound up with 2 rescue diver cards, which should hold me for most situations. Having read through this thread from the beginning, some folks have offered some good ideas for having digital copies. I think it might make sense to email those digital copies in advance.

I'll allow that there are costs associated with creating a physical card, and I'm not sure that this would qualify as a 'free market', since if you need a PADI card there is only ONE supplier, and if you need it to dive, then you are not acting as a free customer, but are under duress.

My pet peeve is that they charge the same price for the E-card, and you have to order a new E-card for each cert you want one for. I teach Web App Development and SQL Admin at a Tech. center, and I can promise you that they have basically no costs associated with it. They developed a very basic (at least in the case of the Android platform) app, and when you buy an e-card it just loads it onto the local device(s). (the ONLY thing they did was that if you have multiple devices on the SAME platform (android or Apple), you can have your e-cards on all of them for one price. Change platforms however, and you have to repurchase.

It is what it is, you can't go someplace else to get THAT thing.

Forget it Jake, it's [-]Chinatown[/-] PADI

Back
Top Bottom