Votes: 52 17.5%
  • No, I have never been a smoker.

Votes: 156 52.5%
  • No, but I use to smoke.

Votes: 89 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and I think it is Illegal to smoke underwater in California and a few other places.

It's amazing how many Doctors and Nurses are smokers... I don't know the stats but I have heard things.

I smoked for some of the early years that I dove, but quit for good in 1975. Best decision I ever made.

I find that most West Coast divers do NOT smoke. However, visitors to our boats and dive park occasionally do. If you travel to destinations where there are European or Asian divers, a large percentage of them seem to smoke.

smokers are in the minority in my diving circles

i do notice quite a few students are smokers and a good percentage seem to give them up

I smoke.

Related to what someone earlier posted.

- Smokers are of the "chance taking" "try anything once" type.
- Americans don't smoke as much as the rest of the world.
- Smokers tend to have an "addictive personality". they typically also drink, and get heavily involved in various hobbies, which is what i consider diving. Diving is not a sport.

Hemlon:
One of the doctors I work with asked me this question last week. He is not a diver but his question really made me think. Quite honestly, I had never noticed a lot of divers smoking.

Is this really true? Are there a lot of divers out there who also smoke cigarettes?

I've never been a smoker, but I swear it seems like it is a requirement if you are a local Dive Master here in the Dallas area. When we go to the lake, it seems that every dive master is smoking. I know it isn't that bad, but it has a high percentage of smokers.

Doesn't make sense either because smoking decreased lung efficiency. What are these people going to do when they get emphazima? They sure won't be diving long at the rate many of them smoke.

Curt Bowen:
No divers I know smoke

No divers who are staff on the Advanced Diver Magazine smoke

Now I cant say we dont drink like fish ;-)

Do you prohibit the hiring of smokers for your staff and your diving projects?

Phil Ellis

Never smoked..smells bad.
Never dated a smoker. Refuse to. women whom smoke turns me off.

it is a very ugly habit. To each his/her own.

drinking a cold beer after a days diving..now were're talkin!

Oh...

you meant smoking tobacco! The diving community is host to a number of bad habits. :hippy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom