Why are you called.....The Great Screen Name Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by jmsdiver

I was a bit of a dissident then, not agreeing with mainstream society. I hung around with a bunch of folk of the same philosophy and we kind of formed this little posting group that would shoot blasphemy at the crowds.

Those days were kind of fun and the internet not even close to mainstream reality. Commadore, Atari, PCjr, Apple. Wasn't it grand?

A Commodore 64! Haven't heard those words in a long time. Ah, the simply days.

Rooster1
because I have bin called Rooster my whole life by my friends my name is Rui (Roo-eee), but there was the nick name Rooster already on the board so I had to bow out and Take Rooster1:upset:

I'll admit it. I like having the same name on different boards, and jbowker was sometimes taken, so in an effort to not overtax my little brain I went with my first and middle initials, j o and my last name. Not very imaginative, and some people assume my first name is joe (rather than jim) but it works for me.

apo is an island in the Philippines. Nice place to dive......
Isolated and shoals of jacks that hover on the spot at certain times of the day.

...on a bulletin board far, far away, I thought about having Zeitgeist as a user name. Had to check the spelling in the dictionary... and then, of course, it was already taken. On the same page of the dictionary, I found Zastruga and Zephyr. Over the years (creak, groan) Zephyr became Zep, which became Zept.

Dull but true...

Z :snooze:

Well,

After an intense day of diving to extreme depth in our local lake I was suffering from PDNS (post-Dive Nap Syndrome) when I Did something really stupid in front of a friend and she said that I must have "Water on My Brain" To do something so stupid.

I also am known as Scubarebel and BigDeepOne and Divingsolo around on the net.

Later Everybody

My best friend was printing up some cards for a business I had going in Alaska. She dropped in Dive Sherpa instead of instructor or anything else.
I would always carry the stages up the steep banks after the dive, and down before the dive.
Hence, Dive Sherpa.
Some of the cavers in florida call me sherpa.

It's my name. I would have used just Dennis (that's what I use on Diverlink), but someone who never posts already had it registered.

Why my real name? Yes it's boring, but the internet is anonymous enough as it is. I have never liked that aspect of it. I like dealing and chatting with real people. Besides, since I have been told that I am older than dirt (somewhat true), it is much easier to remember my own name than some nickname that I may never use anywhere else.

Walter and several others figured mine out from my introduction post.

Tanstaafl: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

I got this from the Robert Heinlein novel The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

From the responses, there are several Heinlein fans around. here.:book:

It started when I taught a class of co-workers. All had nicknames, and my DM kidingly asked if I was Hobster. It kinda stuck. When I got online, hobster was taken on AOL, so I became TheHobster.

My business name is Hobster Diving, and I used to be thehobster.com as well

Beats my college nickname of Stump!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom