Why Come to Coz in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is some factual information regarding January Nortes over the past 5 years - not based on memory or perception, but factual
Data. I only have immediate access to my records for past 5 years - but will pull files from storage for more years .

Jan 2014 - 2 days (4th & 8th)
Jan 2015 - 2 days (24th & 25th)
Jan 2016 - 1 day (17th)
jan 2017 - no port closures in January
Jan 2018 - 3 days (13, 14 & 15)

For clarification - these are days the port was closed for boats under 30’ - So
It’s possible larger boats were out on some of these days.

To answer flyboy - port closure is a confusing term for those who don’t live here - think of it as a small craft advisory - usually affects aquatic activity only. It doesn’t affect ferries unless things are REALLY bad like a tropical storm, or winds over about 50mph
I can easily see how the port closures would be very disappointing while on vacation. The stats from the last 5 years are really not that bad. I recently missed 3 of 6 days of diving on a visit to my home in SE Florida. That's not uncommon in late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. I get in a fair amount of bike riding and walking the beach :)

We have dived in Q. Roo nearly every year since 1996. Sometimes Nov. to early Dec. Sometimes early Jan. and sometimes mid Jan. into Feb. We have always had port closures, and we have always had days we could dive. The ratio is not always the same.

BRT, same here for Belize and/Or Roatan.

Christie- Thanks so much for the actual data. I prefer it over memory as memory is so heavily influenced by emotion. I plan to be in Cozumel every last week in December and first week in January until I am too old to fly. I will never be too old to dive. One thing I like about January is that there are always enough divers to put together a boat for a night dive. Christmas and New years are also great times to be in Cozumel although boats on those days are harder to come by so those are our designated shore dive days.

I can't recall a year that was blown out the first week in January. Christmas week a time or two but first week of January delivered for me on every trip. (My memory says). Blown out lots of days in February
(Yes, I'm talking Belize and/or Roatan but northers are northers)

When ports are closed, is shore diving allowed? Our hotel last month didn't allow it but I'm not sure if that was their policy or mandated.

We go to Coz a couple times a year and usually one of those trips is in Jan (maybe Dec or Feb). We like Jan b/c of the Eagle Rays, cooler Coz weather and to get out of the nasty NW winters. We spend a couple weeks each trip so a day or two port closure isn't a HUGE deal but weather does factor in that time of year. IMHO it is the most comfortable time of year but we go expecting "some" not perfect weather. If we are taking kids, non-divers or folks with limited vacation time we plan those trip April/May or Sept/Nov when the weather is almost always fantastic.

I can easily see how the port closures would be very disappointing while on vacation. The stats from the last 5 years are really not that bad. I recently missed 3 of 6 days of diving on a visit to my home in SE Florida. That's not uncommon in late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. I get in a fair amount of bike riding and walking the beach :)

Christies figures are not completely true, especially in 2017 and not bothering to look back to January of 2017, and not counting the days that small boats like hers are beached. The port was closed for 3 days straight this last December and I know because we carried 18 divers each day out on the east side While Christi and others sat on the beach.

I'm just trying to help some people out who value every day of diving they can get with their precious vacation time. My statements are certainly not meant to get more business for Aldora in January

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last edited:
Christies figures are not completely true, especially in 2017 and not bothering to look back to January of 2017, and not counting the days that small boats like hers are beached. The port was closed for 3 days straight this last December and I know because we carried 18 divers each day out on the east side While Christi and others sat on the beach.

I'm just trying to help some people out who value every day of diving they can get with their precious vacation time. My statements are certainly not meant to get more business for Aldora in January

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I call BS. Your statement referring to Christi and the other dive ops sitting on the beach is without a doubt trolling for business. I am not a customer of Christi's but really, that was a cheap shot.

Christie did not offer data for december. She was speaking to your topic which was January. Your initial post seemed to imply that you would be attacked for your position which I have not seen happen but you are now attacking her shop and basing it on a straw man argument. Don't worry Christie, I suspect the other members will see through this. I have not dived with Christie but I would consider it. That wasn't a very nice thing you just did Dave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom